Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Dyno Oil??

Re: Best Dyno Oil??

SYNTHETICS

as far as they go, unless you run over 6k miles in oil change intervals, run the absolute snot out of your truck from offroading and etc, have a turbo or other modification i would stay with a blend or just good ole dino. the #'s show that dino has just as much protection as syns do within 5k miles and some even more... so really take your pic but here are the synthetics baseIII and up that really stuck out #'s wise these are based on 5w30 and 10w30 weights

-the typical amsoil and redline
    - royal purple did ok
    - valvoline full syn did much better than mobile 1 (the durablend and maxlife had better #'s also)
    - castrol syntec and penzoil platinum did well, better #'s than mobile 1 syn
    - mobile 1 syn, not too bad but to me, not what you pay for.
    - penzoil and havoline syn, both very affordable and still getting a "syn" if i had to chose between the two it would be the penzoil platinum. it has shown good numbers. i dont think anyone has done a test with havoline syn but it shouldnt be any worse than most. they are usually on sale and or cheaper than other syns..

--- the trick with syns is that you have to switch out the filters atleast every 5k miles or else most of the time you will have high lead and iron count which isnt very good for your motor...

if you have to have syn i would go with whats on sale to be honest. they are all very good. everything i have posted is what i have read and observed on other forums so dont jump to conclusions that i am some oil expert haha.. bc i am not, but the #'s dont lie.. it was enough to sway me and i am very loyal to products that i know that work.
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

So, I went to go get some oil this morning, because I'm coming up on about 4000 miles since the last change. They were all around $3/quart. Doing some simple math, that comes out to $15 for oil, $8 for the filter, which comes to $23+tax. Just called Toyota and they do it for $29+tax. I'm thinking to myself why I'm paying myself $6 to change the oil, bottle it all up, and take it to the nearest oil recycling place when I can have all this done....for $6 essentially.

When oil prices were $1 or $2, it made sense to do it yourself, but now, I think I'm just going to take it to Toyota. No need to get grimey or oil all over yourself, rig or the driveway. I like working on my car as much as the next yota-head, but not tedious tasks like an oil change. Plus, I think the Toyota dealership washes the car, too. Anyone else getting "lazy?"

EDIT: Ehh, I probably should've started a new thread on this. Sorry for the jack, mk.
    Land Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    So, I went to go get some oil this morning, because I'm coming up on about 4000 miles since the last change. They were all around $3/quart. Doing some simple math, that comes out to $15 for oil, $8 for the filter, which comes to $23+tax. Just called Toyota and they do it for $29+tax. I'm thinking to myself why I'm paying myself $6 to change the oil, bottle it all up, and take it to the nearest oil recycling place when I can have all this done....for $6 essentially.

When oil prices were $1 or $2, it made sense to do it yourself, but now, I think I'm just going to take it to Toyota. No need to get grimey or oil all over yourself, rig or the driveway. I like working on my car as much as the next yota-head, but not tedious tasks like an oil change. Plus, I think the Toyota dealership washes the car, too. Anyone else getting "lazy?"
    Funny how people look at the same thing differently. See I took the same logic, but thought to myself that if I was willing to spend $8 on a toyota filter yet I was putting in the super cheap oil and typical oil changes cost $30-40 now (for regular dyno oil), why wouldn't I just put in a low cost full synthetic for a few more dollars per quart. So I went with the Valvoline Synpower full synthetic which was about $5.25 per qt (about $31 for 6 qts) plus an $8 filter from Toyota for a grand total of about the same as I would have been charged for a regular oil change. Up here a full synthetic oil change will often run you near $80 (using M1) so getting it for 1/2 price is a steal. I'm not too worried about the mess because I could already do a 10 minute oil change in a suit and not have any dry cleaning bills.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Actually, on my past cars, I pretty much had the same mentality as you. I used M1/Amsoil and just wrote off the extra cost to "what it would've cost at the dealership." In the engines that take much more abuse than my current 3.4L V6, I wanted to be sure that the correct amount of oil and the correct type of oil were being used, so I did it myself. (One engine redlined at 8400 and the other, 9000, which when on the track, they barely ever dipped below 6000). With my Toyota 4Runner, though, I'm not that concerned about using synthetic, so I couldn't justify spending the time and effort for a measley $6.
    Land Cruiser

sounds logical to me pnut. here they charge from 45 up to 80 for an oil change at the stealership.. with m1 syn (6qts)for 32$ and a pureone or puralator filter for 7$ i get syn oil change at half price. so therefore i do it myself... just next time ill try not to break the oil pressure sensor lol... 30$ mistake

I have used castrol GTX hi mileage and saw no real gains in anything, I now use 5 qts (cause it comes in a large container)of havoline. its under 10 bucks and changing every 3k or so means it isnt worth it to run $$$ oils.

I use walmart supertech filters, bought 2 bucks for one and they are the same as champ ones you can buy for alot more. I think its costing me about 10 bucks for everything and I can dump my oil at a variety of places I know since I am a mechanic.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

how many miles you got on that t100??

SCREW YOU GUYS!!!! After I read over this thread, I started to feel like a friggin yuppie having the dealership do my oil change. I went to Checkers and got 6 qt's of Castrol GTX (5w-30) and a Heavy Duty Fram oil filter (yeah, yeah, I know. But as much driving as I do, the Fram will be changed out next month. I just didn't have time to go to the dealership before they closed today.)

I guess I'll be getting a bit dirty this weekend... bastids...
    Land Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    SCREW YOU GUYS!!!! After I read over this thread, I started to feel like a friggin yuppie having the dealership do my oil change. I went to Checkers and got 6 qt's of Castrol GTX (5w-30) and a Heavy Duty Fram oil filter (yeah, yeah, I know. But as much driving as I do, the Fram will be changed out next month. I just didn't have time to go to the dealership before they closed today.)

I guess I'll be getting a bit dirty this weekend... bastids...
    You're welcome!

The issue for me not letting other people change my oil isn't the money aspect, it's all the time wasted dealing with the garage when they screw stuff up (yes, even an oil change can get screwed up, I've seen it happen). To me a few minutes getting dirty every now and then is time well spent. I used to do dealer oil changes when I first got my 4runner until they tried to screw up my engine (it was a dealer in AZ) and I've never been back except for getting parts, changing tires and recharging the AC (current dealer is much better).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Yeah, it definately feels better knowing that all of the oil was drained out, the proper amount of oil went in, the drain plug/oil filter were not over-tightened or stripped, etc. I just get lazy sometimes.
    Land Cruiser

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast