Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Compressor to CO2 bottle

Air Compressor to CO2 bottle

Ive heard or read somewhere that its possible to fill your CO2 at home, using your garage air compressor.

Is this possible ? Im thinking it would be, BUT you would only be able to fill the CO2 bottle to 120 PSI or what ever the air compressor is set at..
    Is this even worth the trouble getting all the corect fitting ?

yea, i know NOOB
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Re: Air Compressor to CO2 bottle

I'm sure it is possible.

Personally, i'd say way more trouble than its worth. But I am biased toward CO2, as i think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

What i would suggest is this:

Post up what size tires and rims you are running (width and height). Post up the size of your CO2 tank.
    Post up what you usually air down to (as close as you can tell).

Then, we'll see if we can't figure out if you can air up four tires with the garage charged tank. If you can, then go for it and buy the fittings. If you can't, don't waste your time.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

not worth the trouble............ CO2 when filled is in liquid form at 850 psi. Filling the tank with compressed air to 120 psi wouldn't even fill a single tire....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Thats what i was thinking, but wasn't sure, and figured we could calculate how much air you could get out of one tank.

Thanks Bruce, that will save time.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

thankx for the replies.. and Bruce, thats what i was thinking, but didnt know for sure..

put it this way an average SCUBA tank hold 80 cu ft of air and they barely fill all 4 tires, that's 3000 psi.........

If your lucky you'd get maybe 2 psi into the tire.........
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    put it this way an average SCUBA tank hold 80 cu ft of air and they barely fill all 4 tires, that's 3000 psi.........

If your lucky you'd get maybe 2 psi into the tire.........
    wooow, well now i know, lol i thought it was to good to be true..

bruce i know with my scuba i've filled at least 5 vehicles back up most scuba tanks have 3000 psi as far as i know most co2 tanks are about 2200
    85 4 runner that&#39;s just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160

As long as there is liquid in the tank, the pressure in a CO2 tank is determined ONLY by the temperature. At room temperature (70 degrees F) its about 853 psi.

As for a SCUBA tank it depends on the size of the tire and how low the pressure was to start and what pressure your going to.

i know for sure that my 33s that i would run between 8-10psi i could always fill my rig at least 3 times on one tank
    85 4 runner that&#39;s just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast