Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Compressor question

Re: Spring Compressor question

Quote Originally Posted by arjan
    Crappy tire rents tools? I didn't even know that. I'll keep that in mind, but if they are less then a $100 it might be a good idea to have a set myself. Comes in handy sometimes.
    I got a set because if I wanted to change stuff out, I could do it at my own leisurly pace.
    The ones at Sears really are a good deal for what you get.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Somebody is selling one of these (pictured) locally. Is this a safe model to work with?

Opinions (educated ones ) would be appreciated.
    I don't know about safe, but whatever you buy, make sure you can get the teeth into the coils on a Toyota progressive spring. We used one like that for my Tundra coil swap, and it wasn't likeing the small spaces of the Tacoma coil and we had to find the sweet spot for the Tundra coils to compress enough to put the plate back on. Yeah, we could easily put it between the wider spaces, but it won't compress enough to take out the top plate. I think a wall mount is the way to go

A press is the safest and best way to do it. I bought a cheap press frame at princess auto (regular price was CAD$350... I got it on sale for CAD$200). Combine that with a 20 ton bottle jack for $30, and some home-made adapters to solidly mount the shock and coil in the press, then it's easy as pie. I've used that press for so many other things as well that it's paid for itself already (I've owned it almost a year). If you buy spring compressors, that's all you get is spring compressors. Presses have many uses.
    2002 4Runner, Auto-A340F, 3.4L, 4.30 Gears<br />TJM T15 Front Bumper &amp; Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather,&nbsp; Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, &quot;4-air&quot; system for airing up/down tires.<br /><br />2004 Camry LE - stock (and will stay that way)<br /><br />1993 4Runner has been sold

I ended up going to lordco and bought this:
    http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ctModelId=1367

I paid $53.99 Cad for the set.
    Canadian tire also as a set for $109. They are called strut compressors.

I still had an old set and took it apart. Worked fine, just the locking pins don't seem to clear the coil so I couldn't use them.
    No unsafe situations imo, just keep your hands away as much as possible from the top plate.
    I used the cresent wrench to hold the end of the shock (to prevent it from turning) and a box wrench to take the nut off the shock.
    Even if the compressor hypothetically lets go, it would just flip the tools out of your hands.

The lift should be here next week, I ordered the exact same setup as Jamie.
    I picked up some landcruiser wheels a while back and picked them up from the powder coater today. Semi gloss black, looks pretty good.
    I should be easy to get the brake dust off now hopefully.
    After I get the lift I'll have to get some tires for those wheels also, looking at Toyo open countries, all terrains.
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

The lift should be here next week, I ordered the exact same setup as Jamie. I picked up some landcruiser wheels a while back and picked them up from the powder coater today. Semi gloss black, looks pretty good. I should be easy to get the brake dust off now hopefully. After I get the lift I'll have to get some tires for those wheels also, looking at Toyo open countries, all terrains.
    Definately want to see some pics when that's done!
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I ended up going to lordco and bought this:
    http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ctModelId=1367

Good move. I have a set like that - they were labeled Macpherson strut spring compressors, but they worked great for me when I did my BB on my WJ. Ditto on using the weight of the vehicle to compress them - I used them as more of a spring holder than a spring compressor.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

A heads up on the above compressors. It does work, but 2 small points:

1. When the compressors are on the spring, the plastic shock booth is squished. Stay away from the top of the booth with the compressors, the center has enough give in it to work.
    2. When it was time to remove the compressors, they wouldn't come out of the springs. The cast clamp is too bulky and needed some leverage. The shocks and springs have some scratches already.

I am not overly upset about the scratches, my runner needs paint and never gets washed much anyway. I use it for work and am more concerned with usability then looks. It'll all work fine, just an heads up for people coming across this thread.

Hopefully I'll get around to installing the lift in the next week or two. I know some people with forklifts which I might ask for a favour when installing the rear.
    That's how I installed the downeys on my old '91 4Runner in the past. Lift it until the springs fall out .
    Getting the top bolt of the rear shocks will be the major pita, it definitely was on the '91. I remember putting the vice scripts on the nut and using a pipe wrench on the top part of the shock. The rear shocks are toast anyway so it won't matter. It's also easier again to do that with the rear lifted by a forklift. Working space is everything!
    2011 4Runner SR5

ive always had to tap my compressors out of the way after assembling the strut.

honestly the rear is quite abit easier than the front. super easy if you drop the spare and sit up under there, just make sure you have lots of safty jacks in place. i had a toal of 4 jack stands and 2 floor jacks when i did mine, just so it didnt fall on me when i was under it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Good idea on removing the spare. I better check the mechanism still works. Never had it out sofar.
    2011 4Runner SR5

if not just wildly spray pb blaster in its general area. lol.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12