Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ahhh free speech, the one way street of hollywood

Re: Ahhh free speech, the one way street of hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by scottiac
    Actually, we (the tabloid consuming public) are the nut jobs.

It is obliquely our (collectively) fault that anyone even gives a darn about the private lives, political views, etc, etc of anyone in the entertainment sector.

People *buy* the tabloids with that kind of crap in it. People *watch* the completely inane media programs that "investigate" the off-screen existence of the entertainment professionals.

Freedom of the press wouldn't be a hot topic if the collective jackals that make up the media-consuming public didn't place such an absurd valuation on this kind of information that serves no one, and only exists to provide titillation to the unwashed masses.

Why? Why, people? Stop! Stop now and save our world!
    I personally think we'd have a far better world if no one paid attention to celeb's lifes. And yes, I guess you could say I fell under that category for this. However, I simply point out the incredible hypocritical nature of people in this world. I read the news, keep up on current events, purposely do my best to keep away from anything to do with hollywood (unless it blows up), so reading this article has nothing to do with me giving a rat's ass about her, but more about me interested in the hypocritical nature of the human being. My question is, how can one make a movie about FREE PRESS, and then selectively choose who gets to interview her and what questions they ask?

I did see that they are now claiming it was her lawyer that made these choices and not her. Whether I believe that, I don't know.

Intrepid, I wasn't trying to say that she violated free speech, I was simply wanting to point out the hypocritical nature of her actions. It's much like going around saying that every one should care for the environment, drive green vehicles, etc, etc, but drive an SUV with poor mileage, own a MASSIVE house, and have several shares in oil companies.

I wouldn't take a person like that too serious, so why should I take Jolie's POV on free speech serious? (If it was her that chose this instead of her lawyer)
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

She was attempting censor of content related to her.

The line between truth, lible and slander is fine.

I could give a damn about what most of these people do outside of their profession, most regular people are not crucified for their actions outside the office unless they are illegal.

Isaac is right, it is people bored with their own lives and needing some other charge to keep them going.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Life is like high school for a lot of people. The celebrities are the popular kids and, for some inane reason, other people care a lot about what they're up to. It pisses me off to no end when CNN switches to BS coverage like this instead of focusing on real news. I know I know CNN and real news in the same sentence...

There are definitely some issues here on her side. I can somewhat see that part of the argument because of all the turmoil around her personal relationships of late.

What I find funny is that the media is trashing her because *THEY* were the ones that got the short end of the stick this time. Do you remember the situation with Cheney shooting the lawyer? The biggest thing there was all the major media was pissed that they (Cheney and others) decided to release the information to small time media and letting the big players get scooped.

I'm not saying that these people aren't being stupid.
    I'm saying that the media got pissed and they're having their little revenge now.
    Beat up old 2002 Tacoma

I ignore celebrities. If Ms. Jolie weren't so pleasant to behold I'd find it easier to ignore her too. I'd rather fix my gaze on more productive subjects and just watch the leftists like a hawk out of the corner of my eye.

Celebs and their pie-in-the-sky kooky perspectives on their own are harmlessly abrasive. It is when they seek to leverage their position with the power of government that they become dangerous to personal freedom. At that point, I resist.

Ms. Hotness didn't harm her status with me. I didn't care much for her or esteem her value anyway.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12