Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cootees 2dr Runner Build Pic Thread

Cootees 2dr Runner Build Pic Thread

I've done so much to the runner this year and still have so much yet to do that I decided to go ahead and start a buildup thread.

After two years of searching for the perfect 4runner I found one exactly like I wanted. It was the rare '90 2dr 4runner.. manual tranny and black.

Here she sits as I bought her and decided to get her muddy.

When I purchased her the runner was completely stock except for the AR wheels and 31x10.50 trxus mt's.

The first thing that I did was removed the running boards followed by a aisin manual hub swap.

Shortly after, the original motor lcoked up so I replaced it with a remanufactured engine from www.orientengine.com.

I added a magnaflow muffler and high flow cat.

The trxus mt's did well offroad but wore horribly and quick which caused it to ride very rough. Knowing that I had a lift planned soon I wanted to get the largest tires I could comfortably fit at the stock height. I ended up going with 32x11.50 Sport Kings.

When time for a lift came around I decided to go with SDORI bj spacers and a t-bar crank in the front. Rear springs from an fj80 in the rear as well as a 4crawler panhard drop bracket. OME stabilizer and skyjacker nitro shocks. All together the lift gained was approximately 3-3.5".

I then had Jeremy powdercoat the wheels in a satin black and added a surco basket.

Powdercoating the MC Bumper.

Getting the bumper pretreated.

The finished product.

Philip<br />-90 2Dr 4runner<br />www.cootees.net

Re: Cootees 2dr Runner Build Pic Thread

Factory Bumper and hitch removed.

MC Bumper on.

Spare tire rim(picked up on ebay for $15) was powdercoated in satin black as well. I need to mount it on my full size spare sometime this week.

We also test fit the 35x14 tires that jeremy has and I was quite impress how well they fit under the 4runner. the 14" wide tires obviously would rub a bit but with a 12.50, I could fit those with little to no rubbing.

So since I know I can fit 35's with the way it sits now I am thinking about possible moving up to a 35 or 36 when I do the sas and a small body lift(for a drivetrain lift)

Got the trail-gear sliders on.

Unpainted

Another angle... still unpainted.

The only picture I have of them painted.. satin black.

Picked up a donor for the sfa.

Hoping to start on the sas should begin this fall.

The rear end went out on me so it's time to upgrade! Started taking down the rear axle a few weeks ago to make space for an e-locker.

Oh, btw.. drum brakes suck. I'm seriously considering to go ahead with a rear disc conversion when I put it back together. Anyways on with a few pics.

After The axle came off I noticed I had a visitor making it's way across the driveway. A pretty eastern black kingsnake.. maybe a 3-4 ft long.

Started taking the housing down to bare metal.

I finally found the e-locker diff semi-local after many failed attempts with salvage yards.

...and this is wher eI am at today... gonna clean up the 3rd member tomorrow.. hopefully finish stripping the axle and start cutting the notch out of the housing and drilling for the new studs.

Nice man. Sucks about the rear diff but at least you're getting an e-locker out of it. Are you re-gearing any?
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Not at this time. If I do ever decide to go up to a larger tire I probably will but not at this time.

Your special

It's been a while since I updated this so here goes.

The e-locker was put in using the ORS wiring harness(which was a godsend for those of us that hate electrical crap).

Bought an 1984 donor parts truck.

Pulled the front axle and traded the rest of the truck for a guitar.

Here is the axle.

Heres the axle after powdercoating and some goodies welded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast