Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing grill mesh; can it affect cooling capabilities?

Choosing grill mesh; can it affect cooling capabilities?

So, I am trying to decide which type of grill mesh to use for my upcoming Satoshi mod. I found one style that looks like the mesh on my hood scoop but there may be issues as it reduces the air flow into the engine compartment.

I am wondering if a significant reduction in air flow to the radiator will have any affect on the cooling system.

It's a '99 4Runner Highlander w/auto.

Thanks.

'99 4Runner Highlander, e-Locker, Deckplate/Trueflow, and 265/75 Terra Grapplers

Re: Choosing grill mesh; can it affect cooling capabilities?

rathead,

i dont have numbers behind my opinion, but i dont think it'll make a significant difference. just keep in mind that attaching the emblem, regardless of what method you use, will be difficult w/ those smaller holes.

bob

That's what I'm thinking, the fan and other components are doing most of the work anyway, and all the work at times, e.g. when in traffic.

As per mounting, I am using a different emblem, one off an '81 FJ40 (it's a little larger and I like the font better). I'm planning on mounting each letter individually like drawer knobs/pulls, I'm hoping the smaller size of the holes will prove beneficial...we'll see.

'99 4Runner Highlander, e-Locker, Deckplate/Trueflow, and 265/75 Terra Grapplers

Don't forget to post some pics when you get all of your supplies.

What are the spec's on your grill material? Hole size, supplier, etc. I plan to match the hood scoop grill too.

Thanks,

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

for anyone who wants to do this mod, i have a brand new 98 grill for sale for $75 shipped CONUS only

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    for anyone who wants to do this mod, i have a brand new 98 grill for sale for $75 shipped CONUS only
    Where's the love?!

Seriously though, I'm interested to see the what an 81 FJ40's emblem looks like.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Erich,

I bought a sample grill mesh package from www.customcargrills.com for $5 plus shipping, they give you a 3" x 3" sample of all ten mesh styles that they offer plus a $5 discount code for when you make a decision and buy a sheet. I'm not sure how reasonable their prices are ($40 or so per sheet) but their sample package says something.

As far as the mesh that resembles the scoop, it's pretty close. The holes are approx. the same size, but the space in between is slightly thicker here's a pic

Just got my emblem in the mail today, here's a picture of that:

I'm planning on filling in the letters and rounding them over a bit in an attempt to "modernize" it.

I'm still waiting for my grill, so I'll get some pictures up as soon as I make some progress.

Luke

how do you plan to fill in those letters? if its abs, i have a great method! bondo just does not like to stick to plastic, it can be done, but its fraught with problems.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    how do you plan to fill in those letters? if its abs, i have a great method! bondo just does not like to stick to plastic, it can be done, but its fraught with problems.
    Bit of rough sanding and just put some epoxy into it! Man I'm trying to find a 96 grill to do this but just not having any luck!

I was planning on using bondo. I use bondo for everything, never really tried it on plastic though.

What's your method SeanzOrz?

Epoxy would work alright to fill in the dip, but its much harder to shape compared to bondo, might be hard to get a nice rounded bubble look.

Maybe bondo and some super thin creeping super glue.

I love bondo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast