Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank Armor

Fuel Tank Armor

I have a 1999 4Runner 4WD... Offroading somewhere, I put a dent in the fuel tank and it's skid plate.

Is there a good armor replacement for the stock skid?

I've already replaced the fuel tank, and I picked up a new skid as well, and was thinking of reinforcing that one while the old one is pounded out and sort of protecting the new tank.

But I think I'd much rather have a good one intended to armor the fuel tank from my stupidity in the future!

Any idears?

Re: Fuel Tank Armor

NObody makes one that I know of but lots of guys here have made their own.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Hey Eric, Nice 4runner! I don't have details about mine posted anywhere yet. Not too many changes as of now.

Gotcha on the make your own thing, I did get an extra skid plate to beef up, my friend can weld, so we'll weld on some angle bar and steel plates I guess... Ol well, thought someone might have saved me the work.

Thanks!

Bud at Budbuilt will have gas tank skids coming real soon that I know, check out budbuilt.com

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

After years of abuse I finally replaced my stock skid and tank (it's nice having a gas guage again). I used a junk yard stock skid and welded a piece of 3/16" diamond tread to the bottom. It came out very nice, low cost and fit perfectly.
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

Good info about Bud making them. Everything that comes out of his shop is high quality.

________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
    After years of abuse I finally replaced my stock skid and tank (it's nice having a gas guage again). I used a junk yard stock skid and welded a piece of 3/16" diamond tread to the bottom. It came out very nice, low cost and fit perfectly.
    good call, i got one in mint condition off a guy on TOF a while ago, i need to weld on bracing and throw it on. my stock one looks like poop.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

For those that are replacing their fuel tanks, you can drop it and pound the dents out from the inside. This is the "before" pic, now you can't tell it was ever dented in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
    And it gave you welding practice. Did it take any shots in Moab? I noticed mine did (among other things) after the post-trip inspection.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    For those that are replacing their fuel tanks, you can drop it and pound the dents out from the inside. This is the "before" pic, now you can't tell it was ever dented in the first place.
    That's what I used to do, until I finally punctured a hole through it.....

As for armor I built my own, had pictures posted at TOF........
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast