Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Power Brake Bleeder

Re: Cheap Power Brake Bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by 914Runner
    Do you guys have a problem with brake fluid shooting out of the coupler when you disconnect the hose or how do you slowly de-pressurize the reservoir?

Nope, just pull the quick disconnect and it depressurizes instantly. The fluid stays right where it was.

I think I might build one tomorrow, but have a regulator right on the bleeder so its easier to adjust the pressure than going back to the compressor. Would a open/close valve on the bleeder help at all?

A better pressure regulator (ie on that goes between 0-30 psi for fine tuning) built on to the device would be a good idea. Perhaps one used for airbrushing would work well?! Hopefully someone will come up with a futher mod (cheap is the key) that accomplishes this. No, I don't think an open close valve would be helpful at all.

Just some thoughts.
    Answers in red above.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Sorry to reply so late, 1 person yea its easier but the 2 person method has never failed me and most shops dont even bother with the little widget b/c its an unnecessary waste of cash, who only has 1 person at a shop?

I think its a good idea, but I can have a whole brake system bled and done with another person in about 5 minutes and I dont even have to get out from under the truck. I guess I am old fashioned, never ruined a seal either.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

made mine! just need to get a regulator...

would this same process work for bleeding the clutch MC and line?

Quote Originally Posted by garrett
    would this same process work for bleeding the clutch MC and line?
    Yes, just keep the pressure fairly low for that (5-10 psi).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

what size tubing do i need to fit over the bleeder valves to direct the fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by garrett
    what size tubing do i need to fit over the bleeder valves to direct the fluid?
    I didn't use any myself, just put a nice size oil pan under the caliper or drum (obviously with the wheels off) and then hose the area off with brake cleaner after. The constant pressure will keep the bled fluid fairly consistent on where it goes when it exits the bleeder screw.

If you want to use something on the bleeders, use clear vinyl tubing (1/4" ID?) not rubber vacuum line. I can't remember what size I used in the past but ask someone at the parts counter to grab a tundra/4runner caliper for you to test the different line sizes on before you buy it.

i ended up measuring the valve and 1/4" I.D. is the correct size to use.

this was freakin' easy! i just got done doing mine following GSGALLANT's instructions, but i also used 1/4" ID tubing to direct the fluid into empty water bottles. no mess whatsoever!

great write up! i wish oil changes were this clean!

I also use 1/4" tubing on the bleeders when I do it. It's especially useful when you're bleeding brakes to get air out (as opposed to just flushing the system). If you run the tubing in an upside down U-shape, with the high point of the tubing higher than the bleeder screw, it makes it really easy to see if there are any air bubbles coming out.
    2002 4Runner, Auto-A340F, 3.4L, 4.30 Gears<br />TJM T15 Front Bumper &amp; Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather,&nbsp; Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, &quot;4-air&quot; system for airing up/down tires.<br /><br />2004 Camry LE - stock (and will stay that way)<br /><br />1993 4Runner has been sold

Next idea is to someone make a self contained unit that adds fluid as you remove it, now that would be cool.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast