Thread: Whining Rear Window

Whining Rear Window

94 4Runner
    My rear window motor is making an electrical whining noise when I roll it down, but not on its way up...

I know these rear windows have problems, but my question is: is there anyway to prevent this from getting worse?
    And is my rear window motor going to fail soon?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Whining Rear Window

Quote Originally Posted by Swissdrums
    94 4Runner
    My rear window motor is making an electrical whining noise when I roll it down, but not on its way up...

I know these rear windows have problems, but my question is: is there anyway to prevent this from getting worse?

Thanks,
    Mike

If it sounds mechanical, spray some WD40 on the sides or wherever you hear the noise. I let my 1st gen sit without the top on for awhile and when I put it back on, my back window made sounds like a bad back. After repairing all of the power issues and wiper issues, the wd 40 made it roll up nice and smooth.

Best stuff to use is Toyota White grease. I bought a can of that and will never buy WD-40 for lube on my yota again. It worked like a charm, and all my rear windows run smooth as silk.

However, the 2nd gen 4runner window motors use a plastic gear housing. It is possible that yours, like all the others, has worn to the point that the metal gear has hogged out the plastic housing and is making it squeal.

Super secret way to make it never happen again: Use a window motor from a first gen 4runner. They have metal gear housings. The only thing you will have to do is change the plug. Super easy, bolts right up, and cures that weak point.
    Need that hard to find part? Nix99 Used Toyota and Lexus parts!

I acually used the honda white grease on it, just put where every it looked like it needed to go. So far so good...

Quote Originally Posted by Swissdrums
    94 4Runner

Thanks,
    Mike
    having the same trouble as yours mate. i was thinking on how can i fix this problem. thanks for this thread. addition to that did you buy some window motor? how much does it cost you? any help? thanks a lot.

any lithium grease works fine, Just be carefull not yo get it on the glass or messy window.

You can also use something like furnature wax or wd40 on the lowest part of the window track in the door.

You can also fool the door switch to actuate the window once you have it all opened up, That will let you raise it out of the door while its down so you make a mess on the glass, Just dont close it thatway.