Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regearing ???

Regearing ???

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go for gears? We need to at least put in 4.88's. We don't have a ton of cash to blow, so we're looking for the most bang for your buck sort of thing. Also, does Marlin crawler make a differential that bolts on and has the gears and locker already put together? Justin seems to think he heard someone talking about this. Thanks for the help!

Jenn

BTW...has anyone ever heard of using a rock slider as a bumper? Any forseeable problems with that?

Re: Regearing ???

(Rockslider as bumper) That's probably not a good idea. A tube bumper would cost a similar amount and be designed for impact.
    1991 4Runner 4x4 5-speed, 31&#039;s, 3vze<br />1992 Lexus SC400, auto, 1UZ-FE (donor)<br />1978 Datsun 280Z (project car)

Yep, marlin sells them, along with trail-gear and a few others i have seen

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/diff/pickup_diff.htm

I've been considering this option too, and wanting to ask Bob_sr5 if he had to do it over again would he mod his axle to take the e-locker, or just go with the pre-built 3rd from marlin.
    Brian

Tulsa: Thanks for the link! So what I'm seeing there is the 4cyl 4.88 Lockright would go in the back and the and High Pinion 4.88 spool would go in the front. I noticed they don't offer a Lockright for the pinion. Are they using the spool because it's cheaper?

91 4X4: Good point. I was asking cause I could pick up a rock slider for $70. I wouldn't be buying a whole set. But I think your right, since this is also my DD I should have something more impact resistant. Thanks!

I wouldn't spool the front! Selectable up front would be the best, but I guess if you don't drive in snow a lockright up front could work.
    Brian

Look for Yukon or Precision gears.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

JnJ - if you are not adding lockers right now, buy someone's factory 4.88 3rds and install them. I bought 4.10 ones cheap and had Yukon 5.29's and ARB's installed in them for around $2500 for parts and labor (DMG and I installed them in my 4Runner). I then sold off my 4.88 3rds.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

This is what you want and it is a dam good price too!
    Front IFS with 4.88's and ARB locker
    My signature

That's a helluva deal!
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

How important is the $$$? A drop in from Marlin is nice, but expensive. They also don't do anything with 7.5 diffs ( I asked ) The nice part about a drop in is if you need the truck as a DD, you can get it done quick and are not at the mercy of the "set up" guy. At least you can drive around w/o the front diff if you had to. If you can take the time to look for something like Slosurfer posted that would be sweet. Also think about PORC
    http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....erce/index.php
    Per their prices:
    8" R&P $130
    7.5" R&P $180
    8" Install kit $90
    7.5" Install kit $125
    4cyl Lockright $250
    set up $150X2 $300 approx
    so... $1075 for both diffs geared plus locked in the rear vs. $760 for Marlins 1 locked diff. You'll save dough but it is more of a PITA. Also, those PORC prices are lower on his e bay site and lower still if you contact him through Pirate. I think I got my lockright for $231 IIRC through e bay ( I wasn't hip to the Pirate thing at the time ) I'm not knocking Marlin by any means, it just costs more. Or you could use Marlin for the rear and rebuild the front with PORC parts for $1175 or so? Check my math on that one. Good luck.
    Less is more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast