Thread: Attention ALL Firestik owners...

Attention ALL Firestik owners...

Greetings...I had a question regarding the placement for my firestik antenna. My power antenna has finally broke after many years of service , so I have decided to get a Firestik II, matchmaker antenna splitter (AM/FM/CB), and a stud mount. My dilemma is as follows, it seems that if I place this on the rear bumper, it would seem to rub on the hatch every time that it is opened , how do you guys deal with this issue? If so, will this contact rub the paint on the hatch eventually? Will I have to hold the antenna every time the hatch is opened? Please let me know of any and all solutions that you might have. I may have to mount the stik on the front bumper...Thanks in advance for you time and response...

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Re: Attention ALL Firestik owners...

It is a tailgate bracket and holds the antenna out of the way of the tailgate (or hatch on a 3rd gen). I also have the quick release so that I don't have to always have the antenna on there.

Also, this writeup should help
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...c=388.msg11694
    My signature

or what i use is a spring mount. just bend it out of the way

i have it mounted in that location with a spring, it just isnt practical to bend it each time you open the rear hatch. some dont use it very often, i used it daily.

i have a quick release and i just take it off and throw it up on my roofrack or put it in the cab. i am making a tube that will be attached to my rack so i can store it up there instead of the sling between seat backs and the cargo cover.

i am going to move the mount to more along the side of the truck, about half way between rear and the rear wheel well.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i would say a sping, quik mount and a tennis ball

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74
    i would say a sping, quik mount and a tennis ball
    exactly what I have
    My signature

i use a nylon strap to keep it tethered to the roof rack, the only time it has enough energy to bend and hit the body is when its whipping around uncontrolled. with the strap it can never really move far enough to gain enough energy to do damage.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

when i had mine on the back of my 4runner it would rub a little but it would only take a slight bend to get it out of the way, no big deal if you ask me.
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

I got tired of breaking off my 4' sticks, so I went with a 2' and haven't had any issues since. But then again mine is mounted of the front bumper......
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!