Thread: Everything starts fine but it just won't quit!

Everything starts fine but it just won't quit!

My 84 also has this irritating problem(besides the thump a lump) of not turning off when I want it to do so. I can turn the key and the engine cranks once, maybe twice and fires right up. When I turn the key off, it doesn't shut off the engine. The electrical stuff like the gas and temp gauge will quit indicating when the key is turned off, but the engine just keeps running. I have to stall it or pull the coil plug to turn off the truck.

The previous owner of the truck told me it was the ignition contacts. The fix was to purchase a new starter. I did this, and put the starter in today (god what a pain, and I've heard the 3.0 is worse!). Well I wasted my money and time apparently, because that didn't fix anything. I also replaced the wiring harness inside of the steering column. Its the thick pack of wires with a harness on one end and a circular piece that connects to the ignition key's mechanism. This didn't solve my problem either.

so, if my rant/problem makes sense.. Does anyone have any experience with electrical problems like this? Any suggestions?
    84 pickup 5spd 22R on 31x10.5&#039;s<br /><br />90 4runner 5spd 3VZ-E on 235/75R15&#039;s

Re: Everything starts fine but it just won't quit!

It sounds like you you my have a timing problem, to far advanced. An engine running to hot with lower octane fuel can cause that problem as well. Those are the ideas i have at the moment.
    96 4Runner SR5 B&amp;M trans cooler, H.I.D conversion

yea that should have nothing to do with the starter.

does it run indefinitely, or just for a set amount of time. if its a short amount of time, the engine is dieseling. if you have to do something to turn it off because it will run until it runs out of gas, then its a problem with the switch at the ignition(key).
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Nah I know it's not dieseling. Dieseling is easily stopped by turning the wheel and putting a load on the engine (PS pump). The engine is actually full on running, like as if I never turned the key one way or another.. I could drive with the key out. In fact I have.

I got a suggestion from a YT member that it could be the fuel cut solenoid.

I don't think its a switch with the key. I just replaced one with the other. and neither works.

Could you explain to me how advancing the timing can cause this problem? Did you mean it could cause dieseling? How do I go about checking the timing and putting it where it should be as if it was right out of the factory? I don't mean to sound so retarded, I'm not, I promise. This electrical stuff with vehicles is just a whole new ball game to me.
    84 pickup 5spd 22R on 31x10.5&#039;s<br /><br />90 4runner 5spd 3VZ-E on 235/75R15&#039;s

I guess Im gonna take the 84 to someone who knows how these electrical systems work. I'm worthless when it comes to doing this kind of work and I really want the 84 to run like I want it. Unless anyone has any suggestions, she's goin to the shop.

Fixed it! It must have been a loose wire between the alternator, Distributor, and ignition coil/igniter.

I kept foolin with with wires, i pulled some of the tape wrapping off to see what color wires were going where. Anyways, I didn't think I had gotten anything done other that some investigating and I put it all back together. Drove to work and it shut off with the key.. YEs!!

doesn't get any easier than that!

Screw with stuff long enough and USUALLY you can fix it, lol.
    &quot;Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety&quot;<br /><br />&quot;Religion is poison&quot;<br /><br />&quot;If a government uses the instrument of power in its hands for the purpose of leading a people to ruin, then rebellion is not only the right, but the duty of every individual&quot;<br /><br />&quot;Censorship is telling a man he can&#039;t have a steak because a baby can&#039;t chew it&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Willie
    Fixed it! It must have been a loose wire between the alternator, Distributor, and ignition coil/igniter.

I kept foolin with with wires, i pulled some of the tape wrapping off to see what color wires were going where. Anyways, I didn't think I had gotten anything done other that some investigating and I put it all back together. Drove to work and it shut off with the key.. YEs!!
    What no detailed writeup?!!

J/K glad you got it fixed.
    My signature