Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about the 4runners

Re: Questions about the 4runners

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    I would probably prefer a tacoma, but I think a 4runner is going to be more practical. We have to keep in mind that our family may be expanding sometime in the future so I figure a SUV will give easier access to the cargo area. With Miki and a baby in the back seat it would be easier for Miki to grab things out the back if she needs it. That's a little tougher to do with a truck. But what do you think, Chris?
    From my experience, generally the stuff that is stored in the rear for the kid, usually involved getting out and getting it from the back anyways. Between our 4runner and the tacoma, the tacoma wins easily as the better family car, even when the 4runner was a stocker, granted it's an older 4runner but the general SUVness is still there. We usually have the stuff that we need for Jack, either next to him on the seat or on the floorboard between the front and rear seats. Easy to grab and hand stuff to him on those long trips. When packing for a trip, the most important stuff that we would need to grab was between us and him, next (diapers, etc..) were on the rear floorboard by a door, next (more diapers, wipes, etc..) went near the very rear window. It was easier to roll down the rear window and grab stuff, than to pack it near the front of the cargo area and reach over the seat to grab it. If it is just April driving him around, his diaper bag and stuff go on the front passenger seat incase she needs to grab something. We also have a shell on the back for the dog and our luggage, etc...(your dogs are smaller and would have plenty of room inside the cab)

For some reason, I thought the rear seating area on the taco was bigger than the 4runner, but I was just comparing the specs, and they are very close. Either one will work great as a family car, and what you are looking to do with it. ONe of my reasons for not going with the 4runner, was I could get pretty much exactly what I wanted with the tacoma (shell, TRD, etc...) for about what the 4runners start at. Also, with little kids, you won't be sleeping in the 4runner like you are able to now in your 4runner, so that wasn't a concern for me either. I'm not trying to talk you out of the 4runner, just giving you another option. Without a shell or similar for the bed, it wouldn't make much sense as a family car though.

Our first big camping trip in the taco will be the June Lake trip, so I will let you know how that goes. Also, sometime in January, I will be able to let you know what it is like with two carseats in there.
    My signature

I often sleep in the 4Runner and occasionally with my son (since he was 7yrs, now 10yrs). It's so convenient compared to setting up a tent if your moving from one camp site to another. All my cargo is pretty much in plastic tubs so it's easy to unload in minutes to setup the sleeping gear. Plus we have relative warmth on cold nights, the DVD player etc, which all comes in handy.

I think if I had dogs I'd rather have a taco with a shell and put up with tents.

For family camping the Taco would be my choice. I have so much trouble fitting all the stuff we need in the back of the 4Runner so I use a roof luggage bag but it's not very convenient in that regard.

I'd also rather have a taco for my surfboards and crap. My 10ft mal just fits inside the 'runner but I lose two seats in the process. Again it's just convenience vs placing boards on the roof of a lifted truck.

Ok, I think I'll go buy a taco now.........
    Mark<br />04 4Runner SE, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35&quot; BFG&#39;s, ARB lockers frnt and rear, 4.56 Gears, SW Sliders &amp; Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, custom susp, 1.5&quot; 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Sat. Radio.

I like them both, runners and tacos. Mark, your 10ft mal would definately have to go on top of my taco, the bed is only 5ft long.

One thing I wish the taco had, the rear window that rolls down. I am not sure why they don't make them with the roll down rear window, my bros tundra has the rear window that goes down.
    My signature

Steve, I've been looking at upgrading myself for quite some time and I now have my sights set on an 05 4runner, V6, 4WD (for exactly the same reasons Lance mentioned......V6 has 245 horsepower / 282 ft-lbs of torque and 05 was the first year for the 5 spd tranny which gives you better gear selection and inevitably helps with fuel efficiency). Now of course everyone would love to have the 4.7-liter i-Force V8 engine (270 horsepower / 330 ft-lbs Torque in 05, but it was only 235 horsepower / 320 ft-lbs Torque for the 03-04 years) if gas were not a factor, but the hit in gas mileage for me likely just isn't worth it. Keeping it all in perspective, the old 3.4L engines only put out 183 HP and 217 ft-lbs torque and were still rated to tow 5000 lbs yet got only 21 MPG highway. The 282 ft-lbs of torque on the 4.0L V6 is more than enough to tow a decent trailer, ATVs, boat, etc and the 245 HP will be more than enough to get you out into traffic or pass that big rig in your way while still giving you the fuel economy of the 3rd gen's smaller engine. I've been waiting for them to average less than $20k used and they're getting getting close now, but they probably won't be solidly in that range until next year. I also looked at having a Tacoma or a Tundra, but the practicallity of toting around a 4 person family on long road trips in a pickup just didn't really fit well. Personally if I need a bed to haul stuff around (plywood, drywall, trash, etc), I'll just get a utility trailer and tow it with the 4runner instead.

If you want to read up more on all the changes year to year just use JA's site:
    http://www.top4runners.com/ja/runhist42003.html
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

ok so im in the dark, havent been on site in awhile
    lance what happened to your runner??

he had a little mishap a while back up in death valley. the thread is somewhere on here.

basically just squished the front of the truck into the front of the engine. no one was hurt (aside from ego and wallet)

beyond that i have heard NOTHING. lance is quite tight lipped about what hes been doing to it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

the 4runner decided to head butt another truck up the tail because it was jealous of the other truck (lol). there's a lengthy thread somewhere (dunno where though). i've been swamped that i haven't had the time to do anything. i've starting to take and/or remove the front end up it's gonna take some time as to what will happen. damages are pretty significant so it's definitely not fun.

hijack off.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12