Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Suspension Upgrade

Rear Suspension Upgrade

During my the Locos Mocos trip, I tore out one of the spring pockets from the frame. Had plans in the works to modify them, this just pushed up my schedule. The past few weeks I've been measuring and making calculations on spring and shock rates. I was really pushing to run the 14" short bodied Bilsteins, but ended up with the 12", even then the upper links will have to be replaced, since they won't articulate enough. The design I finally chose to build is a bolt-in set-up, to make it easier to modify if needed in the future.

Here are a few picture of the half completed assembly, today I drilled and sleeved the frame for the mounting bolts.

the first picture shows it at ride height

This shows how I will compensate for the spring dropping out of the pocket. It's a dual spring capture, I came up with and originally had planned to do to Lance's 4th Gen. At ride height it's compressed allowing normal suspension travel. I still need to weld in the shock mounts, additional gussets and do some trimming of excessive material. This mock-up was mainly to make sure my math was correct.

The top mount is only resting against the upper plate, I have to weld in the inner retaining sleeve and bolt up the bumpstop, which will also keep the spring assemblies in place during full droop.

As for additional travel, I gained almost 5", because of this the rear sway bar had to be removed, since it won't handle the excessive twisting.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Re: Rear Suspension Upgrade

Finished the left side spring pocket assembly

Here's with the inner spring and ACOS system installed, this will allow for fine tunning the ride height later.....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Mount looks sweet. How does that system work? Does it just push the coil up and down to adjust ride height?
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Bruce looks great. I am sure you have thought of this but with that much travel will the drive shaft be long enough or could you risk having it come apart?
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

The link design droops on an arch, so there is no issue with the driveshaft.

ACOS system has a separate lock ring that can be adjusted for ride height.

makes sense to me now. It is not like a leaf set up. The lowers will keep it on a nearly constant radius.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

You are a mad man for sure. Thats awesome. Cant wait to see the finished product. Right on.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Here's the lower shock mount, it's built to take the beating against rocks and protect the shock. I was in a rush to assemble it and painted while it was still hot, needless to say the bedliner spray went on kinda funky......

Had to unhook the top link to droop the axle low enough to get the coils in, but still needed to use a spring compressor.

Took a ruler to show the distance to the bumpstop.......

Now for the other side...........

Looks great, Since I went on the same trip, I temp. fixed mine by installing OME shocks and thus removed my Rancho 9000 outboard frame mounted shocks, I riped off the drivers side mount, by taking a chunk out of the frame... Your solution seems pretty cool... So it looks like you made a new upper spring bucket farther up then stock and used an extra spring inside of your existing spring and went to a 12" travel Bilstein... What main coils did you use, and what is the ACCOS spring, is that some kind of after market bump stop? Finally did you have to make the bucket that sits inside of top of your existing coil spring? and did it increase your ride height?
    Thanks, Pete
    02&#039; 4Runner, ARB front &amp; rear, 2.&nbsp; 5&quot; Fox coil overs with reserves, Total Chaos upper and lower control arms, Modified Tundra axles, OME rear coils, RS 9000 outboard mounted shocks,Ham &amp; CB radios, Power Slot brakes, Scratch built bumpers and sliders, KC lights front and rear, remote oil filter, K&amp;N.

Looks real good Bruce. If at some point I decide to keep a link setup in the rear I would set it up like that.

You still have the stock links??
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast