Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes and modifications to my '85.

Re: Changes and modifications to my '85.

Why no wheelin' pics?

Have you checked to see if coolant is moving at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidyota
    One problem though, my truck was overheating all day. I could run the heat and sweat my balls off to keep the temp down a bit, but it was still really high. I have changed the t-stat and fan clutch but neither of those did the trick. I don't seem to be losing any coolant either.
    Did you get all the air out too?

Might try to burp it if you didnt.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Quote Originally Posted by all_terrain17
    Why no wheelin' pics?

Have you checked to see if coolant is moving at all?
    I posted a bunch in my second to last post, are they not showing up?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie 00
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidyota
    One problem though, my truck was overheating all day. I could run the heat and sweat my balls off to keep the temp down a bit, but it was still really high. I have changed the t-stat and fan clutch but neither of those did the trick. I don't seem to be losing any coolant either.
    Did you get all the air out too?

Might try to burp it if you didnt.
    I believe I got all the air out, but I am going to double check that just to be sure.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Plan for tonight:

-replace radiator cap
    -re-burp system
    -check hoses to be sure both get hot
    -make sure bottom hose isn't pinching itself closed
    -test mixture
    -drill thermostat just for the hell of it

Anything else you guys can think of?
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Check the radiator, a buddy of mine did juat about everything else, including replacing the head gasket and it turned out to be a clogge radiator.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    Check the radiator, a buddy of mine did juat about everything else, including replacing the head gasket and it turned out to be a clogge radiator.
    Lee has an infrared thermometer, I will probably borrow it and give it a try, see if I can find some cool spots on the radiator. Other than putting my hand on it and feeling for it, any other good way to check it?

Oops. Not sure how I missed those. Very cool.

OK, last night I replaced the radiator cap and re-burped the system and I did get a little air out. Both hoses get hot and the thermostat is definitely opening. The bottom hose is not pinching itself closed and the mixture of coolant to water is good. I took it out to a local trail and crawled along, it did not overheat, but it did run really hot, I would say around 1/2-2/3 of the temp guage. I did not have the heat on and it did not go higher than that, although it was cooler last night than it was this past weekend.

I guess I will have to pull the shroud off and run it, then shut it off and try to feel for cool spots on the radiator to see if I can find a clog. Any other suggestions?

I should add, while idling in my driveway, the temp stayed about normal, while driving down the road doing about 40-45 it stayed normal, while crawling it went up.

Ok, looks like the overheating was just the radiator, I replaced it with a new one and drained out some nasty rusty coolant. I will have to hit the trail tonight or tomorrow night and let it crawl along and see what the temp guage says.

Last night was productive, we made a simple and strong bumper:

I am very happy with the way it came out. Simple, clean, solid. I want to make a light/grill hoop, but we decided to just call it a night last night as it was getting late. Eventually I would like to plate just the top so that I have a flat surface up there. I have some diamond plate that will probably do the trick. The important part is done anyway. Those metal loops are for some LED turn signals. All I have to do now is bolt on my license plate and wire up the turn signals and it is all ready to go.

Another pic from the cell phone this morning:

I understand you did some more body work on it last weekend? Where are the pics?
    Brian

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast