Thread: '01 KX-250 start problems..

'01 KX-250 start problems..

Well I'm not looking for a detailed answer as to what my problem could be... just possible ideas on what to start checking...

It's a 2001 KX-250.. It's been chained up outside the past few weeks and not started.

The last time I started it up.. kicked started it on the 2nd kick.

Today it took like 10 kicks before it started, and immediately bogged out with me revving it.

I hear gas sloshing around so I know it has gas... although there's not a lot in it.

Any recommended starting points to check? I'm a noob.

I was going to post it on a Kawi board, but I wanted to throw some stuff in this nearly empty folder. Have to make it useful.

Re: '01 KX-250 start problems..

You might check to see if the plugs are fouled.
    I assume you're getting spark since it did finally kick over.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Change the plug. If it's warm out where you are don't leave it choked for more than just a few seconds after it starts or you'll foul it again.

not enough information to answer your problem, but I'll give it a go.
    First if you live in a area where the weather conditions are wet, look for water in the fuel/carb. When was the last time the air filter was cleaned? And as mentioned check the spark plugs....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Well here lately it's been raining a good bit, but in the beginning of the summer we had a long drought.

The air filter was cleaned very recently.. and only had about a 15 minute ride on it since it was cleaned.

I just changed the plug, and still no go. I gave up rather quickly after scraping my leg with the kick starter though.

As far as water in the fuel/carb. I don't know how to check the carb and all that. Changing the plug is about where my knowledge stops.

One thing is.. the plug I bought might not be the right one. When I tried to get an EGK BR8EVX.. they didn't have it, but told my system gave part number 4068 I believe. Then the other store cross referenced to a Denso plug..

Here is a picture of the old plug.. I don't know if you can tell from pictures or not, but dose it look like it was fouled?
    [img width=800 height=571]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1014/942100311_dd50e4754b_o.jpg[/img]

The plugs look a bit wet but not fouled.

Here's a fouled plug:

Does the plug smell like fuel when you pull the plugs?
    If so try starting it with the throttle wide open. If it's not firing it may be ignition related.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

The old plug does have a hint of fuel smell to it. I didn't do the 'ol sniff test when I pulled it.. and I haven't taken the new one out yet to see.

Pull the plug again, spray a decent amount of carb cleaner in the cylinder, reinstall the plug, give it WOT and see if it fires up for a few secs. If it does then it's probably a blocked carb jet or water in the carb as Bruce mentioned. If you still get no firing or very intermittent then I suspect an ignition problem.

It was just flooded.

That... coupled with Auto Zone selling me the wrong plug.. I couldn't get it started.

Put the new plug back in it today, and had it fired up within a few kicks.

Good stuff.