Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BudBuilt---> BudBroke

Re: BudBuilt---> BudBroke

I wonder if you could get a local shop to bend you up a replica of that, but in 1/4" or 3/8", then you just have to get some longer bolts, drill, and tap, then run the thicker one. Personally I would run angle iron on the top and notch it to fit over the crossmember part a bit to help stop it from bending again. I actually just picked up one of these and I wondered if it would bend like this...looks like I need to add some reinforcing before I bend mine.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Not sure how heavy these things are, but if you bent it out of thicker material, going from 3/16" to 1/4" plate will be about 1/3 (33%) heavier. Going from 3/16" to 3/8" will be twice as heavy as te original. It should be very stiff and use minimal extra clearance, but the added weight could be significant.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Lets be clear. This is bolted to a 80's 4banger with 90 horse. You could strip it down to a frame, a seat, and a steering wheel and it would still be a gutless wonder. It is a heavy sob, but heavier wouldn't make any difference. However, that's not the route i'll be going.

I am going to bend it flat with a BFH, and weld some angle inverted to the bottom. I already stripped out the stock bolts that came with it, hence the huge bolt heads hanging down. the angle should help protect that at least.

Realistically it just needs to last the rest of the summer. As cheese said, i'm counting my pennies for something better.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

it is temp fixed.

cut it nearly in half, left about 2" in the middle.

Heated, bent, rewelded, ground, welded 1/4" strap and 3/16" anlge to fix.

Counting pennies.

Pics of said fix?
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

I'll get them. My camera is broken, and i'm not sure what is wrong with it. Stand by....

Took me three trips to bend mine, 2 days at Rausch Creek and one day up here. Mine is just a hair away from the t-case still though, not touching like yours is. I plan to leave it until is causes a problem.

Well, fix it like this, and it won't bend again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12