Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading The Fan Clutch

Upgrading The Fan Clutch

This is to upgrade the fan clutch by changing out the oil to something heavier. It'll make it much more efficient especially in warmer temps. The two things you will need are 1) fan clutch and 2) 2 tubes of 6000cst oil. part# 08816-06001. If you live in warmer places like Arizona, it might be good to use 10000cst oil.

The fan clutch is located on the fan. Don't laugh, a lot of people don't know that.

Here is how to get it out.

1) First loosen the pivot screw that is connected to the alternator.

2) Then losen the fastening screw on the belt tensioning bolt.

3) Then loosen the belt tensioning bolt. I couldn’t get a good pic of the bolt because I couldn’t get my camera in there.

4) Now the belts are lose and you can remove them or keep them there if you like. If you haven’t changed your belt in awhile. now would be a good time to do it.

5)The fan clutch is fastened by 4 bolts connected to a pully wheel. The tricky part is losening the screws. You’ll find when you try to losen it, the entire assembly turns. I found the easiest way to get the bolt off is to hammer the wrench imitating an impact wrench.

6) Now remove the 2 screws holding the fan housing in place.

7) Now the fan assembly slides right out.

8) Take the fan assembly apart by removing the 4 bolts.

9) Now take apart the fan clutch by removing all the screws surrounding it. These screws are fastened pretty tight. I had to use a ratchet with a screw driver tip to get leverage. At this point, if you strip any of the srews, stop and place the others back. It’s not worth going through the trouble and try to get the stripped screw off. Just put everything back together.

10) Once the screws are removed, you’re not going to be able to take the fan clutch apart because of the suction. I used a plyer to get them apart. Make sure the fan clutch has been sitting there with the blue side down so the oil can drip out of the top half. Be careful not to damage the gasket.

11) Now you have to empty out the 3K oil. I leaned it upside-down in a bucket for a few hours to let all the oil out.

12) Now you want to put the new oil in. You have to order 2 tubes. I used 6000cst oil, but if you live in the desert areas like Arizona or places where temps reach 100, you may want to use 10000cst. Use both of the tubes entirely. Just squirt it into the 4 openings.

That's it. Now just reassemble everything back together and you have a fan clutch that will last longer and do a better job in high temps or when you load your engine. If you're going to change out the fan clutch anyway, I would really recommend this since it's so easy. It's so easy, even a caveman can do it.

Re: Upgrading The Fan Clutch

Good writeup, very helpful with pics too!
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Looks good, added to my long list of mods.
    Diamond HP8 SAS / FROR Full Float Rear / DIY F&amp;R bumper / Nitto 285s / Gen1 SC (in progress)

Bumpin on old thread. David, how did this work out? Did you notice a drop in mpg's now that the fan is being used more often? I am planning on redoing the fan clutch in my van and was thinking that this may be an option if it doesn't affect the mpg's too much.

Did you order the oil from a dealership and just requested a heavier oil?

NIce writeup, I'll be using it to do mine, even if I just go with the stock oil.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Did you order the oil from a dealership and just requested a heavier oil?

NIce writeup, I'll be using it to do mine, even if I just go with the stock oil.
    You can also get the oil from a hobby shop that has RC car stuff. It's silicone diff fluid and it's supposed to be better than the toyota fluid. I bet if you go into the dealer and say you want fan clutch fluid, without a part number, they'll give you a blank stare.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...h-service.html
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thanks Steve, that's a great link!

Edit: I asked NTP for a price quote on the silicone, so I'll see if they find it.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    David, how did this work out? Did you notice a drop in mpg's now that the fan is being used more often? I am planning on redoing the fan clutch in my van and was thinking that this may be an option if it doesn't affect the mpg's too much.
    X2 I am curious on the MPG diff as well

Sorry for taking so long to respond on this. As for the mpg, didn't really notice a difference. I did this mod because my A/C wasn't working great and my temp was running a little high. After doing the mod, my A/C did get cooler and took longer for my engine to start overheating. (I ended up having to replace my radiator, which was the actual cause of the overheating) If you live in the desert area, I'd recomend this. Also, it will extend the life of the fan.

One thing to be aware of is if you have the fan with the ring around the perimeter, it would be wise to replace it with a newer ringless fan. In fact, I would be leary of any older fan regardless of whether it has a ring and would replace it with a new one. It makes a mess when they explode.

That's one reason I haven't rebuilt my fan clutch yet. The higher viscosity will spin the fan at high rpms longer than the lower viscosity fan.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    One thing to be aware of is if you have the fan with the ring around the perimeter, it would be wise to replace it with a newer ringless fan. In fact, I would be leary of any older fan regardless of whether it has a ring and would replace it with a new one. It makes a mess when they explode.

That's one reason I haven't rebuilt my fan clutch yet. The higher viscosity will spin the fan at high rpms longer than the lower viscosity fan.
    I just learned about that older ring fan the other day. Went and checked the 4runner and it has one of those darn things.
    My signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast