Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: selecting sliders, and options in installing them.

selecting sliders, and options in installing them.

I figure I know a bit, but putting all of this information in one location might be very useful to newbies, and maybe it will become a wiki one day. Plus, I want opinions on what I should be looking for in sliders.

It’s time for sliders. What are your recommendations on them?

I like the look of square tube better, but I’m having a hard time finding them pre-built on line to order. Does square tube have any disadvantages to round?
    Whom should I order from? Any bad experiences with a particular company?
    I’m just learning to weld, should I even attempt at welding my own, and then having someone weld to the frame, or should I settle on pre-built?
    What are the purposes of scab plates and gussets?
    Do they make a good step?
    How should they be installed to make a good step? (I.e. angle, distance from body, total distance from frame, etc.

I have settled on welding them on the frame, but I will also include more information on bolt on’s later to complete this as a wiki in the future.

thanks for the info! anything that is useful will be put into wiki form later, and then you can add more. just want a basis of slider tech.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: selecting sliders, and options in installing them.

Get what you like.

Square will hang a little easier than round, but its really a wash.

I welded my own as a final welding class project. Wish i hadn't.

Scab plates keep the slider from dimpling or tearing the frame. Gussets keep the slider from flexing into the body.

Step is relative. Can you stand on them to get in? Sure. But usually they are only a couple inches below the door sill anyway, and end up being a hassle. Some use skateboard grip tape to keep from killing themselves while in the rain.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

http://www.stubbswelding.com/

Thats what i have, the Standard style. He has a lot of options. As for as welding them on yourself, if you feel confident in doing it, go for it. If it dosent turn out good, someone can always fix it. Get the experience. I welded mine on with a 110v Mig Welder. No problems, picked the truck up with the Hi-Lift under the slider and no problems.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Definitely go for some gusseting of some sort. My PS slider has bent up into the rocker because of lack of welds and gusseting.

Just go over to Demello Offroad and have him install a set of his.......
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Strength-wise, Square Vs Round doesn't matter much, practically speaking. Round looks better and more professional, but if you're building it yourself square is easier to make.

Bolt on Vs Weld on also doesn't matter much if done right. For bolt on sliders you need to reinforce the frame by welding in sleeves for the bolts. You also need to use thick plates to help spread out the clamping force from the bolts. The exception is 4crawlers sliders which are just bolted to one face of the frame and use the pinch weld to help support the force. The advantage of bolt on is that you can obviously remove them easier than weld on. The advantage of weld on is that their easier to install.

A third option is clamp on like the way I made mine. http://robinhood4x4.com/rocksliders.htm
    The advantage is no modifications to the frame needs to be done and they can be removed easily. The problem is they are very labor intensive to make because of the close tolerances needed.

Sliders are a good project for a beginner as they're unlikely to fall off on the freeway like a tire carrier can.

4crawler has square sliders for sale and they make great steps.

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

i really like your idea steve. i am going to look into doing this for myself. how many clamps per side? 3 or 4?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I used 3 per side and they are a Hybrid design using 2" square with 1 1/2" tube hoops
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

The math says 2 will work, but I'd go with 3 if you're not going to use the pinch weld as a load bearing member. The clamp style is a pain in the butt to make and I'm going with weld on next time.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Weld them on...SO much easier to install and remove.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast