Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: selecting sliders, and options in installing them.

Re: selecting sliders, and options in installing them.

Got to agree that welding them is the way to go. Lots of back and forth points on this but welding is plenty strong for what you will probably ever do with that Runner.

Call up Brian or one of the other quality fab guys here and get a set you like and put them on that rig! Then come wheelin with us!!!!

I would suggest that you get a set with kick outs in the rear. I wish mine had them and may be modding them so that they do. It sucks when you are trying to pivot on a rock and slide into the rear tire instead of just pivoting the way you planned.

Just a thought though...
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

When I make mine, they will be bolt on, a different version of Steves.

I attached a pdf made by Di ck Foster from TTORA. It shows how he made his bolt on sliders.

The main reason that I want to do bolt on is to keep all the welding (other than tacking) away from my truck and I don't really want to weld to the frame. Just something I dont feel comfortable doing. Maybe later when it's older....even though it's already 10 years old......

Most folks want bolt on for easy removal if they sell the vehicle. The big draw back as I see it to bolt on is that you have to drill all those holes in the frame, preferably slug them if you do it right IMO (which requires welding), but if you ever take the bolt on sliders off to sell the vehicle...what do you do with all those extra holes in the frame...you have to WELD them up.

Weld now or weld later...you will be assimilated.

Ill never have bolt ons, I know that.
    97 runner and 02 tundy

thanks for all your opinions guys!

the reason i like the clamp idea is that it involves neither welding nor drilling into the frame.

although, i will probably go with welded. just need to find a good weld guy who is close by.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The problem with clamp on slider for 3rd gens is the location of one of the mounts, you have to drop the tank to install them, especially if your gonna sleeve the frame.

An idea I tossed around that I haven't seen done yet is to have separate plates with nuts welded to the back side, then drill relief holes so the nuts are recessed into the frame. Weld the plates in place, this gives you a solid mounting point for bolt-on sliders. I thought about cutting mine off to do this before I did the recent modifications.

One issue with bolt-on sliders that are used hard is they don't usually fit properly after removal.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Just buy yourself some nice cheap nerf bars and beat them up and then go buy more...hey...everybody says painting sliders is the cleap alternative to powder coating so why can't I recommend a cheaper way?
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.&nbsp; &nbsp;

Ne
    Quote Originally Posted by callmej75
    Just buy yourself some nice cheap nerf bars and beat them up and then go buy more...hey...everybody says painting sliders is the cleap alternative to powder coating so why can't I recommend a cheaper way?
    Nerf bars are one use sliders.

hmm cheap nerf bars they usually cost about the same as a good pair of rock sliders not a decent comparison to a $6 can of paint vs $100 powder coat job.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

ok stop fighting, its just for information.

ive decided to weld, or rather to have them welded. now i just have to select a "brand" and then get enough money together to buy them and get them welded on, and im good
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast