Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so, I must ask the question

so, I must ask the question

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070718/...P5sbHrIooE1vAI

Is it that the whites are let go more often, or does it revolve around who commits the most crimes?

Not trying to be racist by any means, but let's look at the reasons why this is so.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Re: so, I must ask the question

i think its who commits the crimes
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

I agree.

Would I be a bigot if I said that there is often a fine line between racism and realism?
    &#039;95 4Runner, 3.0, Auto, 140K.

remember... its not profiling, its Statistics
    94 4Runner: All the Good Stuff<br /><br />[color=grey] 89 4runner: 3.0, Auto, HID&#39;s<br /><br />[color=blue]81 2wd pickup: 22r, 5sp, Lock Right, custom seats, Hella 500&#39;s on the bumper.

I do understand that yes, people other than whites ARE discriminated against from time to time. However, I think that this article is clearly trying to portray a message that may not be 100% correct.

So now the question is, if it's a social issue with the opportunities that blacks/hispanics are given that is causing them to end up in jail/prison more than whites, then what should we do?

How much of the blame should be put on society vs. the individual? I don't think that I really need to explain my stance because I feel everyone here knows it. I'm just interested in seeing what the rest of you think.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

this report is absolutely meaningless because the observation does not address anything meaningful (i.e. why?). the implied cause/effect is "blacks and hispanics are disporportionately represented in the prison system becasue they are black and hispanic", which is most likely numerically true, but in terms of actually making changes to why they are disporportionately represented in the system, the report does not say anything about that. useless other than to turn the debate of how to keep all members of society productive into a racial argument

Iowa has the largest amount of, blacks in prison. I do not feel that Iowa is a state that is or should be considered racial.

I think a lot of the issue is basic parenting, and education. Children in Iowa, can quite school after 8th grade.

With that in mind, and most of the minorities living in the urban areas. I think that minorities are not motivated to go further in school, and also I think that social welfare is too liberal.

Thus you end up with the minorities ending up feeling like society has give up on them. Giving someone a hand during hard times sometimes makes it too easy to be like that forever. TJ
    2000, Toyota 4Runner,V6 Auto, SR-5 Silver,4X4 Leather,Moon-Roof, Cruise, A/C, Remote Start, Pwr. Windows &amp; Locks, Alumn. Wheels, Tires are Bridgestone, Full Auido up grade with XM, all Kenwood. Color matched Bug deflector, Roof rack, Dust Deflector and Rear wiper.&nbsp; <br /><br /><br />Resistance is Futile; buy a Toyota!

^ What he said...

It's studies like this that keep racial tensions where they are. People are more likely to blame the society around them than realize that criminals are *mostly* a product of their environment. It's the tired old argument that we have continuously in mature debates on these forums... people simply don't take responsibility for their actions and are ALWAYS on the lookout for an easy way to blame someone/something else.

Beat up old 2002 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    ...people simply don't take responsibility for their actions and are ALWAYS on the lookout for an easy way to blame someone/something else.
    IMHO, this pretty much sums it up. It's no ones fault anymore. It's everyone else's.

When one refuses to take responsibility for their actions, there is very little hope of rehabilitation.
    CJ &lt;IXOYE&gt;&lt;<br /><br />03 Tacoma DC TRD 4wd, bunchamods <br /><br />Avatar artwork courtesy of the one and only 04 Rocko Taco.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast