Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bumper Build

Bumper Build

Starting out the build with some frame-rail beef up. It's 1/4" plate that I cut myself. My down the line reasoning for the plate is because I eventually want a swing-out carrier and as some of us may know, the current frame from a certain point rearward is only good for so much weight before it buckles. I already carry a shell, tools, hi-lift, and rack system so even just the plating is probably a good idea. I finished the plating this morning and after having driven it I can tell you that there IS a difference. I'm not going as far as night/day but like someone said before "...it now lets the truck use the suspension for rebound and not the frame." It feels much more stable as the truck cycles down and back up from any size bump/pothole. I currently have the rear bumper farmed out to have a hitch and two recovery points cut all the way through. Just having a weld-on tab for recovery wasn't what I wanted. I'll post-up when I get it back and progress has been made. Anyway, here's some pics.

&#039;95 Runner with some goods<br />&#039;99 Taco with some more goods<br /><br />Surf to Live / Live to Surf

Re: Bumper Build

That looks bad arse Andy. I always new on my Taco if I wanted to do anything serious with the rear bumper I would have to do something serious to the frame as well. Nicely done.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

i have a rear tire carrier. i added in 2 crossmembers, but have been thinking about plating the frame as well
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Lee I am sure that will help out but Tacos for some reason have less cross members and are a bit less built up than our Runners. Not sure why.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

probably the fact that they have a much lighter bed out back compared to our heavy roof.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    i have a rear tire carrier. i added in 2 crossmembers
    Any chance you could take some pics of that?

Just got word today the machining won't be ready till next week. I got some other prep work to get done anyway.
    &#039;95 Runner with some goods<br />&#039;99 Taco with some more goods<br /><br />Surf to Live / Live to Surf

of the crossmembers? sure
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Sweeeeeeeeeeet. Thanks.

Got the bed high-clearanced today in prep for the bumper. Still have to tighten it up.

jig saw Andy?

Must have been sort of hard to cut into her like that. I have seen lots of Tacos with that style rear bumper. That would have been the way I did mine if I had kept it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast