Thread: For those with a swing out tire carrier.......

For those with a swing out tire carrier.......

What hinge did you use. The only ones i have seen are the Rockstomper one and then i came across one on Rock Logic. They both look the same though. I am currently in the design stages of building a rear bumper and i want the swing out on it for sure. Just kind of skeptical on the Rockstomper one due to Steve's experience with his. (http://www.sonoransteel.com/rearbumper.html) I was thinking of a post with heavy duty door like hinges, but the post would be in the way of the tail light. So thats a no go. I know a lot of people seem to be using the rockstomper hinge, so was it just a fluke? What do you guys think?
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Re: For those with a swing out tire carrier.......

i used the best - slee offroad
    -andy

i used the one from rocklogic. its VERY good quality, i have zero complaints. works like a charm and the bearings they give you are really nice.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    i dont see one on slee's site??
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

It doesn't look like Slee is selling it anymore (not on the website anyway).
    The rocklogic one is very solidly built and shouldn't give you any issues.

4x4 Labs also has a very solid spindle like the Slee (for around the same price):
    http://www.4x4labs.com/products/index.html
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    i dont see one on slee's site??
    Call Christo's shop and ask if they still sell them. They just might not be advertising them on the site anymore. I don't imagine they are big sellers without the bumper attached .
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    It doesn't look like Slee is selling it anymore (not on the website anyway).
    The rocklogic one is very solidly built and shouldn't give you any issues.

4x4 Labs also has a very solid spindle like the Slee (for around the same price):
    http://www.4x4labs.com/products/index.html
    agreed, the part on the top can be welded all the way through the anywhere on the bar for increased strength
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Excellent. The rocklogic definitely looks as if they use better bearings compared to rockstomper. I will also give slee offroad a call and see what they have. Hopefully i can get all this going and start fabbing in the near future.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

The secret is to take some of the load off the hinge by supporting the carrier at the latch or other location. Half the load from my carrier is supported by the latch and I'm just using a 1/2" bolt in triple shear for the hinge.

Basically, there's enough play in the hinge that the latch side needs to be lifted up slightly in order to engage the latch.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.