Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made Luxeon LED Rock Lights

Home made Luxeon LED Rock Lights

Got done with my rocklight LED project this weekend, I think I've been working on this off and on for about a year now. These are the same type of 1 watt LEDs used by roundeyes, but I only have about $35 into all 8 LEDs. I won't be posting how to make these out of respect for roundeyes, but if you have a little knowledge of electronics, how LEDs work and do a little internet research, you can figure it out. However, if we happen to meet at the campfire, I'd be glad to tell you.

BTW, my driver circuitry is far from efficient (I never did like EE), but it works well enough. Combined, all 8 only draw 1.4 amps.

Originally, I was going to just slather liquid electrical tape over the circuit board where the wires are soldered on. I changed my mind and mounted them in epoxy, but I think it would have worked.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Home made Luxeon LED Rock Lights

Very nice! Looks like about the quality that I'd do if I were to do the same.

Don't know where you got your LED's but I got mine from here
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I got mine from luxeon for about the same prices. There are also some chinese knockoffs running around out there and some people say they're not quite as bright. One way you can tell is the actual diode, the little yellow thing in the middle is square on the luxeons and hexagonal on the knockoffs.
    Steve

Looks very good, I plan on doing the same, using the Dot Light configuration.
    88 Yota Pick-Up, Custom everything!!!

ok i have no clue when it comes to leds besides the obvious amp savings what is the real benefit? also i know that it takes some special wiring can someone clue me in on the deal with leds?
    85 4 runner that&#39;s just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160

The advantage is I can probably leave these things on all night and still be able to start up in the morning. They come in real handy at the campsite at night. I'll usually leave them on all evening so I can see where I'm going or to help set up camp, but they're not blindingly bright.

The other advantage is they're nearly indestructible and if you build them yourself, they're cheap.

LEDs need a certain voltage. If there's not enough voltage they won't light up at all. If there's too much then you fry them instantly. The trick is figuring out how to reduce 12V to approx 3V. The simple way is with resisters, there are lots of calculators online that will figure that out for you. I just happened to go a little more sophisticated route.
    Steve

leave them on all night that would be sweet did you buy the leds and housings seperately and then wire them up?
    85 4 runner that&#39;s just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160

See the hexagonal thing embedded in the clear plastic? That's the LED that I bought. Everything else I made. I soldered the wires to the LED, poured epoxy around the LED and wired it all up with the IC chip. The cheaper, easier way to do it is shown in the last picture.
    Steve

sweet thanks for all the info

This guy did quite alot with retrofitting luxeons too.

http://evnut.com/rav_mods.htm
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast