Thread: Fuel Gauge

Fuel Gauge

So after reading the whole fiascal with the Fuel Gauge in the 99 4runners about it reading wrong I decided tonite to fill up my tank when it was at the very bottom of the E. It took 55.124 litres which is about 14.5 gallons of fuel and the 99 4runner has a 18.5 gallon tank meaning that when its on E I still have another 4 gallons of fuel!

Is this normal?

Re: Fuel Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by firebane
    So after reading the whole fiascal with the Fuel Gauge in the 99 4runners about it reading wrong I decided tonite to fill up my tank when it was at the very bottom of the E. It took 55.124 litres which is about 14.5 gallons of fuel and the 99 4runner has a 18.5 gallon tank meaning that when its on E I still have another 4 gallons of fuel!

Is this normal?
    Yep, it's normal for me. I drive 30-50 miles past the low fuel light and I have never gone past 15.25 gallons.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

normal, at least for Japanese cars. as for a 84 Plymouth Voyager, empty MEANS empty. my parents found that out the hard way.

i have been well past E with the light on and only took on 16 gallons.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i just about ran out of gas yesterday (fuel tank and sending unit are smashed) i puttered into a gas station. it did die on me twice, on the way.
    Filled up, took 14.5 gals. and mines a 99
    but it never took more than 14.5 gals.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    i just about ran out of gas yesterday (fuel tank and sending unit are smashed) i puttered into a gas station. it did die on me twice, on the way.
    Filled up, took 14.5 gals. and mines a 99
    but it never took more than 14.5 gals.
    That's because your pump assembly is bent upwards in the tank, you still have plenty of fuel in there.
    I scored another tank and replaced it today, but it will have to come back off since my sending unit isn't working properly. I can usually get 18 gallons before the engine starts to sputter.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    That's because your pump assembly is bent upwards in the tank, you still have plenty of fuel in there.
    Ditto, something is definately bent or missing from the pickup if it starts dying around 14.5 gal down.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I have found that the first quarter on the gauge goes quickly (~40 miles) yet the last quarter takes it's sweet arse time. Usually, I get about 270-290 miles before filling up, and put in 14-15 gallons. I use my trip odometer as a more accurate fuel gauge than the real one...

Edit: mind you, that's without a correction factor for bigger tires of 3-4% too...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Ok I swapped out the sending unit with the type the FSB recommends. It mounts differently and the float is located where the pump pick-up is. I didn't take pictures, but it seems to work much better. I filled 9 gallons in the tank and the guage read at half a tank. I'll be doing some testing in the next few weeks to see how far it goes when the low fuel light comes on.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!