Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter Issues - Need Help ASAP!

Starter Issues - Need Help ASAP!

Okay guys, I was returning from my vacay in South Carolina last nite/ this morning. Been driving for roughly 4 hours with two restroom stops, no issues.
    Then i stopped about 1:30am at a BP about 40 miles south of ATL, filled up the Taco, and went to crank it up, it turned over MAYBE half a revolution, tough to tell, then the starter just clicks. Not like dead battery clicking, but LOUD fast clicking.
    Knowing I have heard of this type of issue being solved with the proper application of sudden force (Read: Hit it with a BFH) - I tried it out with my 4 cell mag, which is tough to swing in the engine bay, but alsa, and unsurprisingly, no dice, still clicking.
    Thinking perhaps the Bendix or some other oddly named part was stuck in the starter somewhere, I decided to try to jolt the tranny and flywheel/starter.
    I get Cort in the driver seat, put it in neutral, and puch her off a little bit, get it going 3-4 miles per hour, and have Cort snatch it into Drive. My thoughts were the truck would lurch to a stop, and jolt the stuck starter...as it turns out, the truck does not stop (any ideas on this?? I thought it should have) but continues to roll as normal, she hits the brakes (having also expected the truck to stop) and I had her put it in park, and try to start it, sluggish, but it started. I drove it another hour home, backed it into the driveway, and turned it off, tried to start it, it started 18 times in a row. a little sluggish each time, and a little time to start each time, but it did start, I didnt risk driving it to the office today though, I drove her truck, but I would really like to get on this ASAP, so any ideas? suggestions?

Starter Contacts?
    Bad Starter?

Also any ideas on why the truck didnt stop when pulled into drive? Or am I just wrong in thinking it should have?

Thanks guys!!

-Chris
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Starter Issues - Need Help ASAP!

You can't roll-start an auto tranny; there's mistake number 1...

As for the problem, I would check battery voltage and charging first before anything else. It sounds like it might be not getting enough charge from the alternator, or not holding enough juice. Also inspect/clean the electrical connections on the battery and starter.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco

Starter Contacts?
    Bad Starter?

Also any ideas on why the truck didnt stop when pulled into drive? Or am I just wrong in thinking it should have?

Thanks guys!!

-Chris
    Bad starter or contacts would = no clicking IMO, it would be a case of turn the key for silence. How old is your battery? Even if it shows 12v, it might not have the CCA available anymore to turn the starter.

As far as the truck stopping in Drive - shouldn't happen. It will roll in any gear. Park makes it stop suddenly . You were on the right track though, if the starter was stuck, rolling the truck in Drive would move the flexplate to free it.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

When was the last time you changed the battery?
    '99 Taco PreRunner V6 3.4L auto

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    You can't roll-start an auto tranny; there's mistake number 1...
    Wasn't attempting to roll start, just to jar the stuck starter.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    You were on the right track though, if the starter was stuck, rolling the truck in Drive would move the flexplate to free it.
    Ah, Thanks!!
    -Chris

Yeah, you can't roll start with an auto so that's out.

Often you can reach down and turn the main crank pulley by hand just slightly and that should be enough to free a stuck starter but I doubt that's the issue if you hear it clicking. Can you jump the truck and get it started? Check the charging voltage with the engine running after (you should see at least 14+ volts with all ascessories off....if not, there's an issue). My bet is either your battery or alternator is toast (my money would be on the alt from the symptoms you gave) Make sure to check both though because I've seen a case where a bad battery also toasted the alternator so sometimes the two can be related.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Thanks, I'll charge up the batt for now, and clean all connectors and check cabling, and then have the shop check out the batt and alt, appreciate it!!
    -Chris

Yeh it sounds like your momentary stop let the battery pick up a little to turn it over. Whereas the alternator wasn't charging while you were running and the accessories was draining the battery. My bets are alternator. A fast clicking usually lets you know you don't have enough charge in the battery to turn the starter over. Take it to the auto parts store and have them check the alternator for charging. Thats free...
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.&nbsp; &nbsp;

Sounds like contacts to me, clicking and all. But also check the battery cable connections at the battery and also all the other connections for the charge system.

Contacts are cheap and easy to fix.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast