Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter Issues - Need Help ASAP!

Re: Starter Issues - Need Help ASAP!

What steered me away from contacts were the repetitive, fast clicking when the key is pressed instead of just one click. I could be wrong though..
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.   

It's possible that it's the starter contacts, but you'd want to eliminate the other two (alt & battery) right away anyway. The stop and no restart when getting gas is often a sign of a low charged battery (either from a dead battery or a dying alternator), but again, those are easy to check and eliminate quickly.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Take it to a shop and have them check the alt and the batt...if those are fine your starter needs some new contacts it sounds like. Mine just clicks sometimes, so I hit it with a hammer and it fires right up.

I agree with what everybody is telling you about checking battery and alt first. There is also another option that makes sense. In the starter solenoid there are two sets of windings, pull in and hold in. If the hold in winding is intermittent open circuit then it will cause a fast strong clicking noise. Never heard of this on a Toyota yet, but I've seen it on other cars.
    Just a thought...

good luck
    Chris
    1996 Tacoma<br />2.5 inch suspension<br />3 inch body<br />Dayton Timberline 33X12.50R15<br />Custom Mercedes Benz HID headlight conversion

Hey guys thanks for the help, turns out battery was the culprit!!! Replaced it this afternoon, and its golden, Im gonna get in there and clean up some connections and check the grounds and stuff, and make sure the alt is in good shape!! Thanks again!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

like mentioned earlier, it sounded like low CCA's. Did the battery have a bad cell or two?
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

I've seen where a low battery has caused starters to fail sooner, due to the solenoid not getting full pressure, burnning the contacts. Just a little heads up if starter issues arise.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Thanks Bruce!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Did you get this figured out, Chris?
    CJ &lt;IXOYE&gt;&lt;<br /><br />03 Tacoma DC TRD 4wd, bunchamods <br /><br />Avatar artwork courtesy of the one and only 04 Rocko Taco.

So...is a one click and no start more symptomatic of the solenoid contacts?

Had a one clicker a ffew months back and ordered the contacts but no symptoms since...until this AM. Tried to start it 4 or 5 times and got one-click. Then it tried once, almost like a weak battery; next time it fired up like normal.

Optima Red Top is one-year old, alternator is stock with 140k on the vehicle.

Should I stop at auto zone and get the battery and alt checked or just head straight home and replace those contacts??
    99 4Runner SR5 - Desert Dune<br />Bri-Mar 5x8 trailer, Toyo OC AT 265.75.16, PP Springs and Bilsteins, AirRaid MIT and Deckplate, Aftermarket HU w/ Sirius built-in

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast