Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unique multi mount winch front bumper.

Unique multi mount winch front bumper.

Ever since one particular snow run with my friend, I've wanted a multi mount winch. However, I knew the drawbacks too...I didn't want it sticking out too far. So I came up with a way to tuck the winch in as close as a normal winch bumper but yet still able to move it to the rear hitch. By the way, this is the first time any of us bent any tube. The bends came out surprisingly well.

I got hitch material (sort of) and welded it to the winch mounting plate then fabbed a cradle to wrap around the mount. The winch mount sits in the cradle with 2 hitch pins securing it to the rest of the truck.

The winch slips in from the top.

Here's the finished product

To move it to the back I use 2x2 tube and slide it into the winch bracket.

And then just plug it into the hitch receiver in the rear.

I still need to get the wire and wire it all up.

And yes, the tranny cooler will be moved.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Unique multi mount winch front bumper.

There are a total of 8 bolts, 4 in tension and 4 in shear, with an option for a 9th in the center. I'm not sure if I want to put that one in though since it will be taking a disproportionate amount of the load. The 8 bolts use the factory captured nuts, but the ones in tension have been reinforced with a 1/4 inch plate like the front range reinforcement. On a side note, it's fricken hard to find metric graded bolts around here. I had to special order those from Fastenal and all they had were those allen head bolts.
    Steve

The plate that actually bolts to the truck is 3/8" thick.

I did find a locking hitch pin at lowes the other day. Works like a charm. Thanks for the offer.

My plan was to leave the winch off when I didn't need it, but I've come to the conclusion that it just plain looks cooler with the winch there . I ended up ordering the 12.9 grade.

The bender is my friends so I don't know where he got it. Probably from the usual places. It works well, we were impressed by how well the bumper came out. It looks damn near professional. We were a little surprised by how much force was required to bend the tube though. As you can see from the picture my friend is putting most of his weight into bending that 1.75" OD 1/8" th tube. But it's not bad.
    Steve

Side pictures:

Steve

Very nice now do you have another one sittin around i can have lol may be or at atleast the the build sheet so i can copy it i really like that bumper
    1990 4 runner <br />5.29 front with Aisin hubs coming soon Aussie locker<br />5.29 rears with TRD limited slip <br />35 x 12.5 x 15 B.F.Goodrich KO&#039;s<br />15 x 8 Micky Thompson Classic II rims<br />Pro Comp stage II 4&quot; suspension lift<br /><br />1955 Panhead Original Hardtail frame and Kick start only<br />Springer front end stock rake <br />Home made Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Hand built rear Taildragger fender tombstone taillight<br />I am the SECOND OWNER did all the work myself<br /><br />1998 flhtc Dresser<br />Stretched tanks <br />Arlen Ness Fat Tail rear fender<br />Arlen Ness custom extended hard bags with my custom exhaust running Thur Nascar Style dual tip out both sides (4 tips total)<br />Stealth Bomber Radar absorbing flat black paint

mmmmmmm... me likes. me likes LOTS.
    -andy

You plan to use Anderson quick connectors front and rear for the wiring? If so, get them from McMaster-Carr. They are the cheapest by far!

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I don't have any plans or anything, but if you need more pictures when you get closer to building I can go take some.

I already have one set of connectors, just need to get the rear set now. And yeah, I'd probably go with mcmaster.
    Steve

That is a very cool idea (note to self).

Any problems with it rattling?
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Nope, no rattling. Even if there is, I doubt I could hear it.
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast