Thread: Front Winch Points

Front Winch Points

Sick of having to winch from the IFS crossmember whenever I get hung up. Tow hooks definitely aren't ideal and kill what little approach angle I have anyways..

Got the idea to have some shackle tabs welded onto the frame like so:

For those who fabricate or actually know what's going on, would doing this be a problem in any way?

If anyone's got an idea other than "get a bumper," be sure to post up.

Thanks.

Re: Front Winch Points

That crossmember is pretty thin and I wouldn't butt weld a recovery point directly to it. Beef it up with 1/4" plate like front range's http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...a2b285306b3d68
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Knew it was thin towards the middle where I've dented it, but thought the ends were a bit more stout.

I will be sure to use that as a foundation though. Thanks for the heads up sir.

I forgot that there are captured nuts behind that portion of the cross member and that those are part of the anchor point that many bumpers use. But I still wouldn't feel comfortable welding brackets directly to it.
    Steve

Ah, I see. On the FROR Plate, what's with the tabs mounted above the crossmember? I don't have those. Then again that plate is designed for earlier generation trucks.

Shackle tabs are on order..

Yeah, the tabs are for older trucks I think. I just used 2" wide 1/4" thick bar stock and welded it across the front.
    Steve

Here is a crappy pic of how it turned out -