Thread: Two Tundra Coil Questions

Two Tundra Coil Questions

Over the last year or so, my 2.5" Daystars with stock coils have been sagging badly. So, it's time they go soon. After doing a ton of research, I've finally decided on Tundra coils with a top out spacer as the route for my next front lift. I had been considering OME 882's and 3" spacers, but found too many negatives on those.

I have two hopefully simple questions. Since I only have ~10K on my new Rancho shocks, I really don't want to replace them yet. Will these "stock" shocks work with the Tundra coils?

Also, for those with large fender flares, what are your measurements from the ground and axle to the flare with the Tundras? Thanks for your help!
    - Scott<br />Model: &#039;02 4Runner SR5 - White On Natural Oak, Tan Interior<br />Engine/Performance: 3.4L V6, Auto, AndyMod, Jardine Catback Exhaust, S&amp;B Intake<br />Rear Suspension: 3.75&quot; LC 80 Coils, Rancho RS5000 Shocks<br />Front Suspension: 3&quot; OME 882 Coils, OME N91SC Shocks, Diff Drop<br />Tires: 285/75R16 Wild Country TXR II, Stock Wheels<br />Misc: Full Time Power Outlet Mod, Extra Power Outlet Mod, GE Nighthawks<br /><br />My Profile: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2915959

Re: Two Tundra Coil Questions

yes stock length shocks are fine. you can only get SO much flex out of the front end anyhow since its IFS, so you really wont be able to get much more out of a longer shock.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    yes stock length shocks are fine.
    Yep, what he said.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

X3
    -andy

Well, I guess I'm back to square one. I was looking at the Tundra coils to give me a little boost over my 2.5" Daystar spacers. But, from measurements people have been giving me, they're only about 36.5" off the ground with the Tundras, limited flares and 265's. That's almost exactly what I measure with my setup right now!

So, what I'm thinking now is to either use '99 front coils with my Daystars, or to add topouts to my current setup. My ultimate goal is ~3" in the front. As little as I wheel, and with a diff drop, I think that should be fine.
    - Scott<br />Model: &#039;02 4Runner SR5 - White On Natural Oak, Tan Interior<br />Engine/Performance: 3.4L V6, Auto, AndyMod, Jardine Catback Exhaust, S&amp;B Intake<br />Rear Suspension: 3.75&quot; LC 80 Coils, Rancho RS5000 Shocks<br />Front Suspension: 3&quot; OME 882 Coils, OME N91SC Shocks, Diff Drop<br />Tires: 285/75R16 Wild Country TXR II, Stock Wheels<br />Misc: Full Time Power Outlet Mod, Extra Power Outlet Mod, GE Nighthawks<br /><br />My Profile: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2915959

The Tundra coils won't give you much of a lift at all without the topout spacer as you're probably seeing with the measurements you've gotten. Keep in mind that the thickness of the topout spacer is roughly multiplied by about 1.5 to get the lift it will produce. So if you have a 3/8" spacer, you can expect just over 1/2" of lift from it. So to get a full 1" to 1.25" of lift, you'd need a 3/4" (or (2) 3/8") topout spacer(s) to get there.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Thanks for the info Jamie. I really don't want to run two topouts with a 2.5" spacer or Tundra coils...the thought of it just scares me. Toytec sells a 3/4" topout spacer (OME I believe) with longer studs, which is the way I'm leaning. It must be a ~.5" spacer to give .75". I'll also look into the 3/8" spacer. Any thoughts on where to get them the cheapest?

has anyone have info on how thick the daystar spacers are? it's advertised as 1.25" lift.

is it 1.25" thick or is it 1.25"/1.5=0.833" thk. also, how long are their studs?

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/kt09105.jpg

thanks!
    Desert Dune Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185W SSR-G l 3.0L TDI<br />&quot;DRIVE YOUR DREAMS&quot;

I have the toytec spacers and in reality I don't think I got a full 3/4" lift from them, based on other people's measurements. I measure just over 2-1/2" of lift with the Tundra coils and Toytec topout spacer. Just guessing I would say around 1/16" to 1/8" more than the 3/8" topouts.
    1998 4Runner, Evergreen, 5 spd, E-locker, full synthetic fluids, 235/85/16 AT tires

The ones Wheelers Offroad sells are from RevTek and they are really long. You won't have a problem putting two spacers on top of it.

Enjoy an even bumpier ride and don't forget to bring your crowbar to get that lower shock bolt through...
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA &quot;TURTLE TACO&quot;[/glow]&nbsp; &lt;All the goods listed here&gt;