Thread: 1st Gen 4runner bumper/tire carrier build

1st Gen 4runner bumper/tire carrier build

Yesterday I started building a rear bumper/tire carrier today for the 4runner. The main base is 2x5" .180 wall square tubing. All the legs are .250 wall. I still plan on doing the wrap around ends and stuff too.

I went with the Rockstomper tire carrier hinge, but decided to try something different with it. I sleeved the bumper with 1.5" .120 wall tubing, welded top, bottom and inside, then slid the lower pin into it and welded it from the bottom only. I have three friends that have broken the hinge section from the vibration that these go through on a normal basis. I don't think its anything wrong with the Rockstomper hinge itself, but the fatigue the upper welded portion goes through when it gets welded to the bumper, so I figured a sleeve would allow it to disperse the load better. Time will tell.

It was getting dark, so I will get better pics of it as I move through for a good write-up.

Big John came over today and we knocked out almost the whole damn thing. But, we ran out of MIG wire right near the end. This bumper is sick IMO

My bitchin BTF clamp.........[][][][]
    Scotty<br />www.AddictedOffroad.com<br />I build chit!

Re: 1st Gen 4runner bumper/tire carrier build

whats your plan for the latch? also why is the carrier so tall?

looks great, very nice lookin welds too!

also make sure you put some safety/backup pins in... go to mcmaster.com and type in Weld-In Pull Pins
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    whats your plan for the latch? also why is the carrier so tall?

looks great, very nice lookin welds too!

also make sure you put some safety/backup pins in... go to mcmaster.com and type in Weld-In Pull Pins
    Just waiting on my Destaco latch to get here. It will be a ball pin, and slide clamp that is used. I have some experience building these.

Still waiting on the latch, but I went ahead and mounted everything up and used a ball pin shaft in the meantime to hold it in place. I get ZERO vibes out of it at this point too.

Got the latch yesterday and got motivated.

Then I got motivated and decided I hated the blue hard top. Oh, and I mounted and wired in the backup light to the reverse lights. Works killer.

Sweet! Now go drag that thing on a rock to test it out!!
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

why not weld all the way around the bottom of the latch??

besides that looks awesome!!! nice job putting the latch up high and out of harms way too
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    why not weld all the way around the bottom of the latch??

besides that looks awesome!!! nice job putting the latch up high and out of harms way too
    It is welded.

oh ok, from the pic it looks like only parts of the sides are welded, sorry
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

i had that same setup on my rig a few years back. you will find over time as the bearings wear in you will need to tighten it but, also the tire will bounce back and forth i cured it using a bumpstop to where the license light is....looks nice... you are a very good welder!!!
    85 4 runner that&#39;s just a little modified call TUBINGWORKS FAB FOR ANY FAB NEEDS 619 438 1160