Thread: Which catalytic converter should I get?

Which catalytic converter should I get?

I'm hoping to do the exhaust on my 87 4Runner 22R-E in the next couple weeks and I want to know what cat people have had good success with. I have a Thorley header and I just scored a 2.25" Flowmaster 40 last night so all I need is a cat. I want something that flows well and hopefully relatively inexpensive. As always, any help is appreciated!
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Re: Which catalytic converter should I get?

I've heard good things about these:

http://www.car-sound.com/

I have no personal experience with them yet though.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Yeah, they seem to be the cheapest name brand ones other than the Catco ones. How about this one?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Contact Philip because he could probably get you a good deal and offer some insight..
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.&nbsp; &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by amgraham
    I had heard the magnaflows were decent too, but I haven't used one on a Toyota yet.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by callmej75
    Contact Philip because he could probably get you a good deal and offer some insight..
    Thanks man, I'll ask him too.

I got a magnaflow cat on my 1st gen and the emissions on my last SMOG showed that I was way under except in one issue that was related somewhere else. Magnaflow gets my vote of confidence.
    Beat up old 2002 Tacoma

Cool. I just ordered that Magnaflow from Phillip. I'm not concerned with emissions so much since we don't have to test for them here (just have to have a cat for inspection). I just hope it flows well and holds up. Thanks guys.