Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tetanus lives....

Tetanus lives....

Alrighty, figured I might as well kill the afternoon by posting up a build thread with some pics.

Here's what I bought almost 2 years ago, from the sellers pics

the rusty underside was scaring everyone else off

So I flew to PA and picked it up, then drove it about 1000 miles home.

Got it stripped down and the front axle out of the way first thing

after getting after it with the sandblaster I feel a lot better about the integrity of the frame, except for the last 12" or so and the tire carrier, they need plated up.
    Brian

Re: Tulsa's really slow 85 4runner resto/build

And at about that point I ran out of steam, and it sat there for over a year. Wife was getting ticked I think. Finally this spring I got back after it.
    Got started painting the frame with POR-15

Cleaned up the axle

Got the POR15 topcoated in black and the new OME springs under there

4crawler shackles - very nice and very beefy
    Brian

so this last week I got the knuckles stripped down

and used the Marlin rebuild kit to put them all back together

upgraded to the trail gear rockrings

installed 1.5" wheel spacers from Marlin and managed to get it back on it's own 4 wheels for the first time in almost 2 years

I'm still fighting with the stock tie rod, and need to reconnect the rest of the steering too. Then it's time to lift the rear of the body to give me some room to blast the few parts of the frame I couldn't reach before, more paint, fix up the rear of the frame, yada yada yada. Hopefully I can keep some momentum going.
    Brian

very nice. by far the best year of the 1st gen. SFA, EFI (right?) and generally being just awesome because its a 1st gen 4runner.

nice to see one more saved from the scrap yard. shes beautiful.

whats your plan with the vehicle? dd/trail or one or the other?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    very nice. by far the best year of the 1st gen. SFA, EFI (right?) and generally being just awesome because its a 1st gen 4runner.

nice to see one more saved from the scrap yard. shes beautiful.

whats your plan with the vehicle? dd/trail or one or the other?
    Thanks, not sure about beautiful yet, but hopefully soon. Def. going to be a DD+ type rig, at least at first. The more I get into it and the longer it takes me, the more the little costs add up and stuff gets pushed out of phase 1. At the very least I need to patch up the frame some, new shackle hangers in the rear, timing chaing guides, new gas tank, and enough body work to close a couple holes around the rear wheel wells. New rear springs, get rid of the blocks it has now. The interior is all in the attic now but is actually quite nice for the year. It ran great too, really just needed some serious help with the rust.

Long term goal is to make sure I never find myself following Intrepid down one of his trails
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tulsa_sr5
    Long term goal is to make sure I never find myself following Intrepid down one of his trails
    that makes 2 of us!

so THATS what you've been up to! good seeing you and the new project here. i have to do some rust related work on the veggie benz in the next few months. i need a garage to leave it and work in though

OMG! The truck almost lives! I almost bought this truck, but I was scared away by the rust. :P

WEAK! This should be edited to:

Long term goal is to make sure I get a full exo and remember not to wear my skirt when following Intrepid down one of his trails

We bought vehicles at about the same time, but I have wheeled, built, trashed, repaired, flopped, repaired, and wheeled my truck in that time, you need to pick up the pace.

[quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidyota

We bought vehicles at about the same time, but I have wheeled, built, trashed, repaired, flopped, repaired, and wheeled my truck in that time, you need to pick up the pace.
    everything you say is true. Thanks for all the help and info Heath, I appreciate it.
    Brian

No problem man, glad to help (and mock).

One thing, looking at those pics, it looks like you re-used the stock u-bolts. While I have never experienced it personally, I have always been told that you need to replace them with new ones once you remove them because they get stretched and are not reliable to use again. If nothing else, it is a good excuse for u bolt flips.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast