Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four Wheel Campers: A review

Re: Four Wheel Campers: A review

I'll leave it on for a month or two at a time if I think that I'll be using it enough.

I'll probably be taking it off soon, but it depends on what I'm going to be doing for school these last couple weeks.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Have you ever "base camped" with it? Like unloading it at a sight, so you can drive around without fully packing every morning. Then loading it back on the truck to go home.
    My signature

I haven't, the main reason being that you're supposed to support the bottom of the camper if it's off the truck and in use.

That being said, I have considered it, but haven't been presented with an opportunity to do so. I'm thinking that a longer camping trip it could work out a lot more if I ever had the need to run to town, or go load up on firewood.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I didn't realize the bottom had to be supported. I guess that is probably how they save a little in the weight category.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I didn't realize the bottom had to be supported. I guess that is probably how they save a little in the weight category.
    For the most part, yes. However, the main concern is to not break the camper jacks from the "wobbling"

Think of a chair with legs that are a bit wobbly, if you move too much, the legs will break.

I'm sure that I'll get to the point where I'll need to try this out, but I'll keep you posted.

I see. Is it that the legs may break, or is it that the actual frame will bend where the legs attach? I only ask because my folks have a big cab over camper that they use all the time without the truck. It seems pretty stable and the legs don't look much bigger than yours.
    My signature

It's more around where the legs are attached.

Since the frame is made out of aluminum and the camper as a whole is designed to be as light as possible, it means that extra bracing around the camper jack attachment points were never beefed up.

Not trying to hijack Oly's thread but wanted to point out that 4Wheel Campers has been making these models for quite a long time. I had a 1990 model that was quite similar. Even back they were available with heat, stove, a refrigerator, built-in inverter, water pump, sink, etc.

Click here for my 4Wheel Camper website.

Whats the all up weight of that camper rolling down the road? I went to the 4 wheel campers website and they quoted 700lbs. With gear, Battery, Water etc. do you think your breaking 1000lbs?

I'm currently looking for a camper like the previous owner of my truck had, but I'm not having much luck finding a used one with the canvas in good shape.

My truck with the PO's camper.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u113/trumpfan_2007/IMG_1979.jpg[/img]
    One up

[img width=800 height=600]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u113/trumpfan_2007/IMG_2255.jpg[/img]
    One down
    &quot;You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life.&quot; -Sir Winston Churchill

Well, i'm pushing about 700 with my camper fully loaded. Keep in mind though i don't have a sink and all that other stuff.

I need to weigh my truck to find out what exactly what i'm running though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast