Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four Wheel Campers: A review

Re: Four Wheel Campers: A review

How does the camper handle mild 4wheeling? Is it secure enough to handle a rutted out or rocky trail?
    <br />97 4Runner SR5 Blue - 124k miles, E-Locker, Armorology front/rear bumpers &amp; sliders, BudBuilt skidplate+belly, MTR 285/75/16s, 2&quot; Tundra/OME Lift, 1&quot; 4Crawler Bodylift, 1&quot; diff drop, Black Aluminum Wheels, Cobra CB<br />99 4Runner SR5 Black - 48k miles, E-Locker, Daily Driver<br />06 Baby Girl - a zillion diapers and counting, Sleepless Mod, Cute Mod<br />

More than secure. It can handle far more than a rutted or rocky trail.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Nice trumpfan--is that a turbo badge I see on the side?

I didn't like taking mine off-road. Mine was heavier than Oly's because it had a refrigerator, sink, waterpump, hotwater heater, etc., and probably weighed closer to 1,000 pounds. Even with a Rancho heavy duty add-a-leaf and new adjustable Rancho RS9000 shocks in the rear, the weight would toss the truck side to side and bounce it off the bumpstops offroad. Taking it slow on easy to moderate trails is fine but I wouldn't take mine to half the places I like to go 4wheeling.

great thread! this is my first post so i though this would be a fitting location. david, sorry to here about your air bag issues...how are things now? also, any resolution to the issue of frame stress...i have the ride-rite bags and OME 7 leaf pack and don't really see how reinforcement plates could fit with the air bags. so far my FWC stays on 24/7, really no where else to put it but it is super easy to get on and off and with the air bag/OME leafs it drives great...little less visability however . anyway, heres is a pic...david any new additions to your camper since we met? paddlenbike your old camper looks a lot like my "new" one...think mines a 93'. any regrets about selling it? great forum by the way...
    2002 Tacoma<br />TRD Supercharger, exhaust, header, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, Fabtech coilovers, OME 7 leaf spring packs, Ride-rite airbags.<br />1993 FWC Ranger II

Quote Originally Posted by erod
    paddlenbike your old camper looks a lot like my "new" one...think mines a 93'. any regrets about selling it? great forum by the way...
    I liked the camper but did not enjoy taking it on and off the truck and also did not like having it on the truck full-time. I had no complaints with the camper itself. Next time around I will buy something to tow behind the truck so I can level it in camp and leave it behind. With the camper, I would no more than get the truck level and then I would have to re-stow everything to drive to a hiking or mountain biking trailhead. A trailer would have worked better for me, but I also have unique needs; I don't tend to stay in one place very long.

Quote Originally Posted by erod
    great thread! this is my first post so i though this would be a fitting location. david, sorry to here about your air bag issues...how are things now? also, any resolution to the issue of frame stress...i have the ride-rite bags and OME 7 leaf pack and don't really see how reinforcement plates could fit with the air bags. so far my FWC stays on 24/7, really no where else to put it but it is super easy to get on and off and with the air bag/OME leafs it drives great...little less visability however . anyway, heres is a pic...david any new additions to your camper since we met? paddlenbike your old camper looks a lot like my "new" one...think mines a 93'. any regrets about selling it? great forum by the way...
    Hey man! Yeah, got the airbag issues fixed. As for the camper, I put in some cabinets, plan on getting those pics soon. Other than that, nothing much.

My camper is going to be staying on the truck for at least another week, then it might come off for a bit. Gas mileage is OK, but always nice when it's better.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

david, are you still in bozeman? get some pics up of your new cabinets, i would love to check them out...you should let me know if your heading out anytime soon too if your still around...flathead pass maybe??? cheers!
    2002 Tacoma<br />TRD Supercharger, exhaust, header, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, Fabtech coilovers, OME 7 leaf spring packs, Ride-rite airbags.<br />1993 FWC Ranger II

Erod, yup, still in Bozeman, just doing the work thing now that school is all done. I'm heading to Lake Hebgen to do some fishing and drinking this weekend (leaving after work).

If you're up for it (kinda short notice) shoot me an email or IM.

dave, sorry i missed ya last weekend...hope you had a good trip. any pics??? definately down next weekend if your still headeing out...shoot me a pm or email if you get a chance...cheers

Hey man, I got a few pics, ended up cutting the weekend short, allergies were killing me.

Next weekend is a maybe, found out I'm going whitewater rafting with some buds (kind of a last min. thing)

The following weekend I'm gone, but the weekend of the 23 and 24th of June I'll be around. If that works for you it should work for me just fine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast