Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbo74's 96 Xplorer

Jimbo74's 96 Xplorer

some of you may have seen that i have a new 4x4, an 84 toyota... its not running quite yet, but isnt too far off, well, i got a deal i can't pass up... here is the story on it... 1996 explorer 4x4

It’s a 96 xlt 4x4 explorer 4dr, its been In the family since at least 98, was bought used from a realtor (my dad’s bosses wife @ the time) that upgraded. Leather interior, truck now has a lot of mileage, heads and upper end rebuilt @ 110k because my mom overheated it and cracked the heads…. 3.73 LSD d4, 8.8 c-clip rear end 31 spline axles with disc brakes, pushbutton 4x4 (well rotary switch on dash) good condition 235/75/15 bridgestone dueler, not the at, but hl I think is the model. Tranny went out and was replaced once. My dad said it slipped once on him after the rebuild but has been fine since…. The 4x4 works sporadically…. A/c is still cold, heater still blows hot. CEL triggers almost everyday. Truck needs to be smogged to be registered

Truck has all the options, power doors, alarm, windows… my mom decided to try and pass a bobtail, that wasn’t stopped and the rear door is crunched, but it didn’t touch the fenders or anything, door still opens and window still rolls up and down. Dings here and there, but it is 12 years old

it said o2 bad, we replaced the 02 behind the cat, code came back, we think it’s the cat now, as truck does have a bit of mileage on it. I think there are 3 o2 sensors on the truck… I might just replace all the sensors and the cat. Shouldn’t cost too much….

after driving it a little, its got a 0401 and a 0420

lots of people here have said the 0401 is most likely a bad dpfe sensor
    the 0420 goes along with the cat

truck has about 210k on it, and still seems to run strong... does seem to have a misfire or lope though..... also it sounds a little bit louder than it used to be, but i still drive it hard and it isnt showing any issues

heres the plan of action:

run seafoam through it crank (before oil change), gas tank, brake booster
    clean out throttle body with spray cleaner for tb
    oil change
    air filter
    plugs and wires
    change out dpfe sensor
    fuel filter

pray it clears both codes and runs right.... i need it to pass smog

if it still has issues, i want to take it to glacier on explorerforum and have him analyze fuel trims etc on it (that guy knows his stuff!)

and it needs a rear pass door, and a right foglight, interior trim around the drivers window switch, big crack, almost cut me today --- and a can of touchup paint

Re: Jimbo74's 96 Xplorer

OK here is the rundown, everything i plan on doing, shouldn't cost too horribly much:

run seafoam through it crank (before oil change), gas tank, brake booster
    clean out throttle body with spray cleaner for TB
    oil change
    air filter
    plugs and wires
    change out dpfe sensor
    fuel filter

push bumper like a copcar
    right side oe fog light
    new door (can probably find one from a wrecked truck, color is common)
    trim piece on drivers window switch
    slight torsion bar twist, camber adjusters
    rear add a leaf or shackles (maybe both) (already have the add-a-leaf, might have the shackles too)
    real spare rim (i have an alloy from my 94 already)
    euro clear corners and headlights
    upgraded harness for headlights?
    some type of brighter headlights
    billet grill off ebay
    flowmaster or similar
    tow hitch
    upgraded battery
    air intake kit or k&n type filter
    valve body upgrade for tranny ($300 have it sent out)
    possibly a computer programmer sct xcal2
    some touch up paint

seems like a lot, and would be another project, it is also the new daily driver and none of these mods would put it out of service for an extended time, but its a lot newer and has amenities.... considering the truck itself was free, not a bad deal... it still trade in blue books for $2275-3400

It's a POS...sell it while you still can.
    &#039;96-&#039;02 4runner<br />When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser-

go ahead and call it a pos all you want, it runs and runs pretty well, eventhough its got some issues.. i get 18 mpg even with my heavy foot. i can put my daughter in it safely. even if i put $1000 into it, its still worth quite a bit more.... blue book shows low $2200 for trade in, i have seen others like it easily sell for $4k

Don't let Rocket get under your skin, Jimbo. He speaks his mind frankly and while the message may bite, it is admirably unambiguous. I'm sure his council is well intended.

From my perspective, every car has it's own idiosyncrasies regardless of maker. I prefer Yotas (and Aston Martins ), but can understand the value in any reliable vehicle. From what I've gleaned, you're willing and able to service your own trucks. At that point, any ride with which you still have patience....is worth it.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

dont worry fuster, ive gotten a lot of crap for the ford... i really dont care, its running, and im a lot more comfortable in it than i ever was in my 85 yota, ive got a/c power windows, enough hp/torque to actually pass people... im happy with it, its even got rear air, compass, thermometer, 6 disc cd changer in the console, its prett nice.... and it was free so i have to put $1k into what i want it to be, but i could never find a vehicle that lush for so cheap

&#039;95 4Runner, 3.0, Auto, 140K.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74
    after driving it a little, its got a 0401 and a 0420

lots of people here have said the 0401 is most likely a bad dpfe sensor
    the 0420 goes along with the cat
    Are you sure it was P0420 and not P0402?
    They are so close it would be easy to make a mistake so I just wanted to verify.

Here's a good thread on your DPFE sensor and those codes:
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...tpost&t=164517

I would replace the DPFE sensor, pull the neg batt cable and see how you do. If you still have a P0420 code then start looking for exhaust leaks because that will often trigger that code and you did mention it was a bit louder than expected.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

thanks mtl, im actually on explorerforum, haha, like the sites 3rd highest poster....

yup its 420 which indicates a bad cat, however it might be related to the 401 as i really need a tuneup, and to replace the dpfe. it does run a little rough....

im going to get to both of them just no $ to do anything

Well, if it were a good running explorer with no problems, I would tell you to get rid of it. Sell it and make some money.

Since it has issues, I'm not sure what I would recomend.Pour whatever you want into it, it's still a Ford.
    T.O.Y.O.T.A.<br />Take Off Your Oversized Tires Andy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast