Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jimbo74's 96 Xplorer

Re: Jimbo74's 96 Xplorer

its running and daily driving.... my toyota isnt running yet.... oh well...

new issue, haha, my seat recliner broke, its like laying back now... oh well, it's still driveable, ill fix it eventually....

i like the explorer, its got character..... and will be a good recovery vehicle for my yota....

also having enclosed cargo area is nice too....

is this your first ford?
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

nope, its my second explorer, we also have a 98 ranger in our stables as well

Found On Road Dead .

What do you expect on a Yota Forum?
    Good luck with it. we've had an explorer, an expedition, and a couple of Rangers. I still recomend getting rid of the Exploder.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

eh, i know its a yota forum, and ive got my yota as well..... this is my other and dd vehicle.... i really dont care if other people want to diss that is fine, im happy with it....

Thats what really counts, I was just diggin on it in good fun. My girlfreinds drives a Ranger, I mess with her all the time. All in all her truck would be okay if it would just be a little bigger, single cab Rangers are no fun.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

ok, ill leave this post being the end all post.... to all that are joking around, thats fine, if you like the second truck, thats fine as well, if you dont, then thats fine, post all your crap you want about them in one post, so i dont have bandwidth wasted on a bunch of crap posts in my thread. i am done defending my other truck, if you still want to talk smack go right ahead. if you have something positive to say, then by all means, do and i will respond, if not, then just post whatever, and move on. thank you, have a nice day.

Jim, one thing I've always understood is that when a car or maker is undervalued and/or unappreciated, one can find a gem at a steal of a price. A good example is when the Infinity brand of Nissan vehicle first emerged, they were met with lack-luster interest. They were well designed cars with desirable appointments, but it seemed folks would rather have the Lexus or Acura premium brands. One could pick up an equivalently equipped Infinity Q45 for thousands less than the alternative. Back then, I couldn't avail myself of such an opportunity, but the principle remains today. I think with your willingness to service your own vehicles, you broaden the spectrum of potential gems. This explorer might be one of them.

A chronically reclined seat may make driving difficult, but depending on your prowess, make-out sessions could be more likely
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

lol, on the seat... eh, its an suv, i can just put the back seats down for um... making out

both of my explorers are/were darn reliable, so is our ranger....

any vehicle has its problems... some more than others.... taking care of it is what makes any vehicle last.... explorers are pretty stout platforms... well the older truck based ones anyways, before they turned into unibody cars

This is a copy of a few posts on www.explorerforum.com in case anyone was wondering why it was so technical… but if you can help with any of this feel free

i was under the truck today to look @ the tbars and the pan, tcase, and crossmember have beads of atf.. hoping its the pan.....

tranny was rebuilt about 20k ago, but i dont really have much faith in the shop that did the work....

another issue, might be related or not, but 4x4 hi doenst shift on the fly, it will go in at a stop in gear, but not on the fly like its supposed to..... 4lo works properly and only engages stopped, foot on brake and in n or p

i want to have glacier do the upgrades to my valve body and do a shift kit (probably transgo) at the same time.... good idea? bad idea?

engine has 210k, top end was rebuilt (new heads and up) @ 110k ---- tranny went @ 180k and then was rebuilt (shop might not have done the best quality work though) i wnat to do the valvebody upgrades/fixes and shift kit

i want to get an xcal2 from henson..... best from what i have read... backlight? no backilight? whats the difference? how is hensons different from the one explorer express, fpn, doug?, bamachips, sct? diablo? sells? can i use the xcal on 2 vehicles at the same time? i have this 96 explorer and a 98 2wd ranger (140k all original)... i think i read that it stores the original data and you cant program another car until its restored? i would run both on 87 performance or possibly an 87 towing.... what about controlling shiftpoints? eliminating speed limiter? have heard it will increse line pressure, is this a good thing or a bad thing? do i wnat that with my setup? what

what tranny do i have? its a 96 automatic? i think its a 4 speed... is the shift kit avaialbe for that or only the 5? also what tcase do i have? i have 2wd, 4hi, 4lo

also, i want to run this muffler, is this a glasspack? can i shoot water up the tailpipe to make it sound better? how would one do that safely? if not no big deal. before everyone starts with the why would you put that on, i know it will be loud, i do not care, i do not care about drone, flowmaster and magnaflow are fine mufflers, i am just not spending that kind of $ on one

pics, a little narrative will be posted above each one:

here is the armrest i recovered, no relief cuts (i didnt know about them then).. its a little beat up now and scratched, might be time to recover again. you can slightly see a overlap i didnt realize until after i was done... also see a staple that wasnt covered by the plastic.. there are 3 staples you can see from the underside. oh well, it still looks decent... i couldnt find the same grey, so i went with black, it still matches as the rest of the console top is black

here are far shots of the console

here is the door side that is fubared because my mom tried to pass a bobtail that was still moving... it didnt touch the fender or the front door though and the door still opens and closes and the window and lock still even works -- im going to find a replacement and bolt it on when $ and time allows

factory stereo, cassete deck in dash, 6 disc cd changer in console (no sub though)

white scratches were from a carwash with something broken in it a long time ago, did this to the hood and the roof, im going to clean them up and hit them with touch up paint (the little vials with the brush) it isnt too bad and im not too worried

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast