Thread: Synthetic Gear Lubes

Synthetic Gear Lubes

hey guys what do you run in your gears front and back? i have been running M1 in the front and rear diffs.. my question is, you are supposed to change the gear oil every 30k miles but what about syn? do you go longer or do you still change them out every 30k miles? just curious. in my tcase i have leftover durablend from my previous vehicle. i know that stuff works well
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

Re: Synthetic Gear Lubes

I'm using Royal Purple in my 4Runner, but haven't gotten to 30k for a switch. I err on the side of caution with fluid changes and do them more frequently. Cheap insurance.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

i agree with ya. it only takes what 4-5 quarts to fill front and rear diffs. plus its easy as sin to do. along with the t-case... now my t-case doesnt get used much and i have durablend in there bc i had it left over and i wanted to save some $$ and not buy M1 for it.
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

I'm also using Royal Purple in my diffs. Only have about 10K or so on it though so can't help you on the intervals.
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Amsoil I bought from Bob! I actually came across an interesting link the other day that talked about oil temp in diffs, and their test showed synthetics running 10 - 15 degrees cooler. I guess if you tow a lot overheating the rear diff can be a pretty bad deal, so it makes sense to run the good stuff there to me.

edit: i probably need to hit Bob up pretty soon and change all my fluids....
    Brian

For me, I use M1. I figure it's tried and true so there's no guess work on whether it works or not.

Can someone tell me the capacity of the t-case and transmission (R150F)?

I'm running M1 in the differentials currently.. Picked up about 1.5 MPG from previous fluid (no idea what kind, hadn't been changed since bought, 50K miles ago)
    1991 4Runner 4x4 5-speed, 31&#039;s, 3vze<br />1992 Lexus SC400, auto, 1UZ-FE (donor)<br />1978 Datsun 280Z (project car)