Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LC has starting issues

LC has starting issues

So, this has happened three times so far. I know that the starter has just been replaced with a Bosch. When I start the LC, sometimes, nothing happens. The entire dash lights up, radio works, I can open and close windows, but the engine doesn't turn. Kind of like the battery is dead. I wait for about and hour or so and then it starts no problem. So far, I haven't really done anything except to clean the ground wire connections. The next step I'm going to do is clean all the connections to the starter and battery. Then replace the fusible link to the positive battery line. Hopefully that will fix it. I'll keep posting follow-ups as I try different things. Any suggestions are welcome.

David

Re: LC has starting issues

david:

when nothing happens, do you hear clicking? or is it just turn the key and nothing?

1) check the charge on the battery at rest in the morning and at idle. iirc, at rest, it should be 13.4v. please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

2) check the ground connection(s) from the battery.
    3) check the tightness of the neg battery clamp. mine was loose once and had similar symptoms

something very similar happened to me a few months back on my less than 1 year old battery. i thought "nah, its less than a year old!" so i stuck the multimeter on the battery at rest (morning) and it was 7.4. i took it in to kragen and they replaced it for free. so check in the order above and let us know what you find out.

bob

bob

I'm with Bob, I recently ahad the same thing happen on my 04 Taco, it turned out to be the battery.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Thanks for the tip Bob, I'll go check the battery. The strange this is that I never have an issue in the mornings. I always started up fine. It only happens after I just drive it. Hopefully it will be the battery . That would be the easiest fix. When I was stuck at McDonalds yesterday, nothing worked. I called a friend and he came and gave me a jump and it started right away.

sounds like battery!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

sounds like the battery. what you just experienced at McDs is exactly what happened to me twice before the idiot light went off in my head and made me take the battery to kragen for a testing.

...hey what the #### are you eating at McDonalds anyways?!!?

Okay, I guess this is the final follow-up to the starting issue. Hopefully this will help someone who gets similar issues. I'll re-cap everything that I've experienced.

The PO changed the starter to a Bosch just before he sold me the LC because he knew there were issues with it. I had no problems with it except a few times when it wouldn't start. Seemed like the battery was dead, but everything else worked. There would be no cranking. Strange thing is it would start up an hour or so later. It always worked with a jump. I thought it may be the battery. Was stuck at Costco one day. Ran in and got a new battery. Swapped it out and still no start. Put the old battery back in. Then tried jumping from the new battery. Still didn't work. Finally jumped from another vehicle and worked. So it turned out it only works when jumped from another vehicle. Checked the voltage on the batteries and all were to spec. Finally ordered new OEM starter from Toyota and no more starting issues. What I've learned from this is just because it's a new starter, doesn't mean there are no issues with it. Found out from master technician at Toyota that 90% of time, this issue is caused by a bad selenoid in the starter. You have to make sure that when replacing them they have to be placed exactly. Thanks for everyone's help.

As long as the battery voltage was good (ie above 12.5V), then it really can't be much else besides the starter (more often than not, the solenoid itself).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    As long as the battery voltage was good (ie above 12.5V), then it really can't be much else besides the starter (more often than not, the solenoid itself).
    If it was only that easy my Canadian friend.

It could be the battery contacts, battery cables, fusible link, starter contact, ground wires, plunger, neutral safety switch, warn contacts in ignition switch, and the list goes on like you would not believe. Everyone seems to change out the starter last because it's the most costly. And usually, everything else becomes PM anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cooldry
    If it was only that easy my Canadian friend.

It could be the battery contacts, battery cables, fusible link, starter contact, ground wires, plunger, neutral safety switch, warn contacts in ignition switch, and the list goes on like you would not believe. Everyone seems to change out the starter last because it's the most costly. And usually, everything else becomes PM anyway.
    If you see that voltage at the starter/solenoid, most of your list of items are gone except for the internal starter items......hence my comment. You obviously took me quite litterally which it was not intended to be entirely exclusive, just the most likely/common problems. The Bosch starter threw up a red flag for me right away, but I'm glad you got it solved.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast