Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguishers

Fire Extinguishers

Vehicle fires usually start in one of three places:
    1. The engine compartment, from fuel or oil leaks.
    2. Under the dash, from electrical shorts.
    3. The back seat, from lighted cigarettes.

Several different kinds of fire extinguishers are available. An ABC extinguisher is the most versatile and will handle type A fires (ordinary combustibles, like wood, paper, or the burning upholstery of a back seat where a lighted cigarette has landed), type B fires (flammable liquids such as oil or gasoline), and type C fires (electrical). You're best off with an ABC extinguisher.

The downside is the fine powdery residue an ABC extinguisher leaves. It will corrode electrical connections and will ruin computers and other electronic gear. You have to clean up thoroughly after using an ABC extinguisher.
    To put out a fire, sweep the discharge from the extinguisher steadily back and forth across the base of the flames until the fire is out. Don't spray the extinguisher toward the flames that are leaping into the air - that won't do any good and just wastes the precious contents of the extinguisher.

If you have an upholstery fire in the back seat, smother the fire with the extinguisher, but then pull the back seat out of the vehicle. The fire will probably still be smoldering deep inside the seat. Open up the upholstery to extinguish the fire thoroughly.

Avoid using ABC extinguishers for fires around computers and other electrical equipment, if you possibly can. Halon is the extinguishing agent of choice. Halon extinguishers smother a fire by shutting out the oxygen, and work well if the fire is in a confined area. If there is a breeze, the Halon will be blown away, and the fire will flare up again. Under the dash electrical fires respond well to Halon, but you've got to disconnect the battery quickly after the fire is out, or the short circuit will start up the fire again.

Because of environmental considerations, the manufacture of Halon has been banned by the EPA, but previous supplies are still available and Halon extinguishers are still available.

So with that said, I thought I would start a thread to see what type of fire extinguisher are you using and why?
    Wil Kuhns<br />Sierra Expeditions <br /><br />The only regrets in life are the risks you didn&#039;t take.<br /><br />Mod Progress Gauge: [|||||||||-] = 90% Complete as of 03 FEB 2008. My Taco&#039;s Garage

Re: Fire Extinguishers

i have an abc powder extinguisher, a giant one, that i carry. honestly if there is a fire in my truck, i dont care about the carpc, electrical connections, my laptop, whatever. personal safty is the utmost concern.

i would like to find a CO2 extinguisher, but i can never find one.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I carry a Halon and Dry Chem. I have a CO2 as well but it isn't very practical. If you get a CO2 extinquisher get an aluminum one.

I have ABC extinguishers because that's what they had at costco.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    I have ABC extinguishers because that's what they had at costco.
    Same here! But now I know what to be on the lookout for.
    My signature

thats where i got mine!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by acreves
    I carry a Halon and Dry Chem. I have a CO2 as well but it isn't very practical. If you get a CO2 extinquisher get an aluminum one.
    How come it's not very practical?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

My CO2 extinguisher is a 15 lb one. Since it is a steel tank I am guessing that the tare weight alone would be about 30 lbs. Giving my a charged weight of about 47 lbs. with the horn. You can get them in 5 and 10 lb versions. I have a small Halon extinguisher so I have no need for a small CO2. If you don't have a Halon a small CO2 would be great for small electric fires.

I also forgot to mention that if you ever discharge a dry chem extinguisher and don't use the whole thing make sure that you put it in a bag because it will continue to leak until all the powder is gone.

I made sure to purchase a bunch of Halon extinguishers when Kiddie discontinued them. that's what I carry.....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast