Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguishers

Re: Fire Extinguishers

Dry chem. is the only way to go for compactness and overall fire protection. Most fabrics in todays vehicles are flam suppressing to a cigarette or other flammable source. Errant firecracker or roman candle ball. Any thing with old fabric seats 1960's or older my not be as flame retardant.

As far as camp fires it still tough to beat water and sand dirt on top to make sure all coals and embers are out. Those of you living in dry and heavy forrested area would be wise to make sure that plenty of sand/ dirt was put on fire site before leaving camping area. As Smokey would say, "Only you can prevent forrest fires." TJ
    2000, Toyota 4Runner,V6 Auto, SR-5 Silver,4X4 Leather,Moon-Roof, Cruise, A/C, Remote Start, Pwr. Windows &amp; Locks, Alumn. Wheels, Tires are Bridgestone, Full Auido up grade with XM, all Kenwood. Color matched Bug deflector, Roof rack, Dust Deflector and Rear wiper.&nbsp; <br /><br /><br />Resistance is Futile; buy a Toyota!

good topic. is halon the only one that would be the best as far as putting out any fire that a vehicle throws at you and NOT leaving even more of a mess than the fire caused?
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Co2 would be good I think... right? How hard are they to find, and are they good for normal combustible fires? Or just electrical fires?
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

CO2 is good for electrical fires. I would not cary one as my primary extinguisher. They can be easily purchased at any fire protection and equipment store. LA City Fire engines don't even cary C02 extinguishers - that's how much they like them.

I have two Kidde dry chem. Auto fire extinguishers, rated BC. One in my truck, the other I put in my GF's car. Mines only a 2lb, that I have behind my seat for now. That one will eventually be mounted either up front by the passenger side seat or mounted directly behind the front seat. I'm thinking about getting a larger ABC rated one, and mounting that one in the bed once I get a canopy on the truck just in case I come across something that a 2lb BC rated one will not help with.
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

CO2 is strictly a can cooler, it's designed to "snuff," out a fire by depleting all the O2 and starving a fire of oxygen.

Chemical fire extinguishers, are generally good for A B C type of fires. They are good for anything. They are also very messy.

Halon, I don't know that much about other than they were used in restaurants above the French fryer's. I would guess that they work well with fires that are "extra hot," like grease fire would be.

Never!! Never!!! Pour water or H2O on a grease fire such as a French fryer. It's like pouring gas on a wood fire. Very Dangerous!!! TJ
    2000, Toyota 4Runner,V6 Auto, SR-5 Silver,4X4 Leather,Moon-Roof, Cruise, A/C, Remote Start, Pwr. Windows &amp; Locks, Alumn. Wheels, Tires are Bridgestone, Full Auido up grade with XM, all Kenwood. Color matched Bug deflector, Roof rack, Dust Deflector and Rear wiper.&nbsp; <br /><br /><br />Resistance is Futile; buy a Toyota!

I've been looking at these: http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg250c.htm
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

It looks great Bighead!!! The only question I have is what is a 2B fire?? I would want it to cover all the bases of different types of fire. TJ

If I remember correctly the "B" denotes a flammable liquid fire and the "2" before it is for the size of flammable liquid fire it can extinguish. The "C" is for an electrical fire.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Im also running 2 extinguishers, one ABC, and one Halon..
    The Halon is mounted on the floor right in front of the driver seat, the ABC is in the cargo area.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast