Thread: custom 10" sub grill

custom 10" sub grill

ok so sofar my 10 inch sub in the back is sans grill, and im worried that something sometime is going to punch through it. the cone is kevlar or something like that, but with a typical rubber sorround, so that is vonurable.

not really sure where to put this, but ill toss it in here, cebby, bob, other mods, feel free to move if you think it belongs in the fab forum.

so i thought about doing the toyota oval,

but im not sure that i could get the curves right.

my next idea, which i like a bit better, is the old school toyota truck "T" (which i cant find a pic of, but can be found on the front grill on 79-83 toyota trucks (not sure about later)

heres what its going on:
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/DSC01960.jpg[/img]

any other ideas???, just looking for some opinions and guidance. thanks guys.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: custom 10" sub grill

no input?

im thinking if its not too hot, i might start on the T from the early 80's trucks.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

sean,

i think just a simple mesh grill is good enough, esp if you are worried about punctures. your idea to fab something w/ the toyota logo neither satisfies your protection criteria and is probably more effort than what its worth. just my 2 centavos.

bob

I was in "the business" for a while, so take this for what it's worth...

You have to think about more than the stylistic merits of a cool grille like how is it going to mount - and by mount, I mean well enough so that it isn't falling off at the time when you need it most (when stuff is tossing about in your cargo area).

If you want to dress up the sub box, hee's whay I'd do:

Get some SEM vinyl paint and color match your box to the interior. http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=190.

Go to a car audio shop and ask to dig throuhgh their various speaker grilles. Every shop keeps a box of these. You should be able to find one for a 10". I'd go for the type that has a flange that mounts under the sub and the grille part is a snug fit over the flange - no exposed hardware. I couldn't find any online to show, but I think you probably understand. If they don't have those available, you can get a waffle type grille with surface mount clamps. Check crutchfield for their offering: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qpO4K7t...vs=T&o=v&g=740

You can either paint the grille to match with your SEM paint, or cover the grille in grille cloth to match.

For the crowning touch, you could add a genuine Toyota emblem to the grille... Making the Toyota "T" from scratch would be pretty tough to make it look good IMO. I'd spend the time and effort elsewhere.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

thanks for your suggestions bob and mike.

color matching is something i will do in the future. kind of trying to decide what im doing with the colors in the truck. i feel there is way too much tan in that truck, and im trying more and more to get some black in there.

i always planned on having a mesh for the grill.

back to the drawing board for me, i think i probably should do something that matches the grills im doing for the amps that are on the backs of the rear seats.

Thats a sweet idea!!

I think I might think of some way to machine something like that for my subs!!
    1997 4Runner Limited; <br />3.4L 4WD; Rear E-Locker; OEM/Sonoran Steel 3.5&quot; Lift; ARB Tacoma BullBar w/ 525 PIAA Dual-Beam Lights; Alpine/JL Audio; CompuStar; TRD Headers w/ Magnaflow custom dual exhaust; 305/70 MTR&#039;s on Blacked-out A/R wheels; Tundra Brakes; 4&quot; Deckplate mod w/ TRD filter; ISR mod; Yellow Top Optima w/ custom tie down; Custom grille inserts; JDM Black headlights w/ 6000k HID&#039;s; Extended diff breathers<br />PICS&gt; ::97 4Runner Site::