Thread: New Winch install

New Winch install

I just purchased a Warn M8000 winch, I'd like to find out others opinions on mounting the relay box under the hood or on the bumper, as well as water and weather proofing tips from guys who have had theirs for a while.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Sir Winston Churchill

Re: New Winch install

I made a little bracket for the box and mounted it right on top of the winch, across the bars. Mines a multimount though so the box has to go with the winch where ever it goes. I didn't do anything about weatherproofing as a lot of guys have their controller out in the elements all the time.

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I made a bracket that is held in place by the body mount bolt, then extended the wires and relocated the control plug. Plus added wires for in-cab controls. As for the elements, there should be no issue since the box is made of 4 sealed solenoids.

99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

I ziptied mine to the grille because I couldn't find a good place to mount it. It's been fine thus far:

1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Quote Originally Posted by amgraham
    I ziptied mine to the grille because I couldn't find a good place to mount it.
    LOL.... had mine zip tied on the inside of the bumper for a few years, finally got around to making a proper mount......
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    Quote Originally Posted by amgraham
    I ziptied mine to the grille because I couldn't find a good place to mount it.
    LOL.... had mine zip tied on the inside of the bumper for a few years, finally got around to making a proper mount......
    Haha.. Yeah, I'll get sick of it one of these days and take the time to install it right. Until then I don't see any reason it won't work.
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page