Thread: Recipe Thread

Recipe Thread

Post your favorite recipes for camping! Having a clean format would really help out. So, try to follow this:

How many people will it feed and total time needed.
    List of ingredients and their quantities.
    List of cooking equipment needed (campfire, stove, foil, pans, etc.).
    List out the steps for preparation and cooking.
    Any other steps/ideas/etc. that your heart desires.

And yes, I'll be sure to post up some of my recipes when I have some time.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Re: Recipe Thread

Tin Foil Steak:

Serves 2-3
    Ingredients:
    *steak. (Thinner the better. i usually just buy whats on sale)
    *Red Potatoes x2 (normal potatoes will work but reds seem to work the best)
    *bell pepper x3 (any color, you choose)
    *any other vegies you feel that would taste yummy
    *Bottle of Zesty Italian salad dressing

Build a "boat" wiht tin foil, placed chopped vegies and steak in the boat and slop in the salad dressing. it usally takes about 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottle depending on how much food you have. loosely Wrap (make sure there is some air inside) wiht in about 6 to 8 layers in tin foil sealing each layer to the best of your ability. place in a bed a coals, either fire or bbq (both work just fine) let cook for 4 songs per side (i dont wear a watch, but the stereo is always going when camping ) cut open and enjoy....
    94 4Runner: All the Good Stuff<br /><br />[color=grey] 89 4runner: 3.0, Auto, HID&#39;s<br /><br />[color=blue]81 2wd pickup: 22r, 5sp, Lock Right, custom seats, Hella 500&#39;s on the bumper.

Chilli Cheese Mac Dog:

Serves: 3-4

Ingredients:
    2 boxes of Mac and Cheese
    2 can of Chilli
    4-5 hot dogs

While water is heating cook the hot dogs and placed to the side. bring a pot of water to boil and cook the macaroni to just slightly UNDER cooked. dump the water. now add everything to the pot, cooked hot dogs, cheese packages, and cans of chili. continue to heat and stir CONSTANTLY until chili is heated. Note: It doesn't look the best and presentation is out of the question, but it taste SO good.
    94 4Runner: All the Good Stuff<br /><br />[color=grey] 89 4runner: 3.0, Auto, HID&#39;s<br /><br />[color=blue]81 2wd pickup: 22r, 5sp, Lock Right, custom seats, Hella 500&#39;s on the bumper.

Charred Sweet potatoes w/ maple cinnamon butter

Some of you that were at June Lake last summer got to partake in this dish. I think it is so good, I usually serve it as a desert.

I will do the recipe to serve two, but for more people just add more sweet potatoes

Ingredients:
    4 large sweet potatoes (not yams, but the actual sweet potatoes that are white inside, you can use yams also but they're not as good) try to get the largest and about the same size and thickness so that they cook about the same. I say 4 for 2 people because it is so good, you will want some later or even saved for breakfast.

Butter

Real Maple Syrup
    (or regular, but maple is better)
    Cinnamon

Equipment needed:
    1.Fire that has burned for awhile so that it has produced a good # of coals or charcoal can also be used.
    2.Long tongs or something to turn potatoes and retrieve from fire
    3.Long fork
    4.Small bowl

Step 1. This can be done at home prior to trip. I usually take a small tub of butter and slowly mix in some maple syrup and cinnamon to your desired tastes. The bonus is that this is great with bagels in the morning or warm tortillas, so you will use it many times at the house and while camping.

Step 2. Make sure fire has produced a good number of coals or charcoal is nice and toasty. YOu want enough to pretty much cover the potatoes or at least cover most of the bottom and side of the potatoes. Bonus flavor: use a good smokey hardwood, the last one I used oak and mesquite, add flavor and produce nice hot coals.

Step 3. Put potatoes into the coals and rake coals to cover as much as possible. No foil, nothing, just toss them in.

Step 4. If you can not cover them all the way, you will have to turn them everyonce in a while to insure they are cooking evenly. They will look nasty and charred but that is all right. Use a long fork to poke them, you can tell when they are done when they are nice and soft inside. You can also use the poking method to be able to tell when to flip them.

Step 5. Once they are nice and soft inside, remove from the coals, brushing any embers off, and let cool a few minutes. Brush as much of the charred outside off as you want, I usually just try to knock all the loose stuff off. Cut in half, add butter, as necessary, and eat right out of the charred outsides like a bowl. They are usually so good, I don't even add butter any more. The bigger ones you can find the better, because you will lose some to getting burnt. Not covering them with foil allows them to soak up the smokey flavor while still sweet. It sounds like a weird dish, but people love it.

My signature

Thought I would stick this in here. Recipe says to broil in oven but I sure you could cook however you please

Sunny Sirloin Steak Marinade

1 lb. beef top sirloin steak
    1/2 c. fresh orange juice
    1/4 c. light soy sauce
    2 tbsp. dry sherry
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 dashes ground cloves

Combine orange juice, soy sauce, sherry, garlic and cloves. Place steak in plastic bag; add marinade, turning to coat. Tie bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 2 to 4 hours, turning at least once. Drain marinade from steak. Place steak on rack in broiler pan so surface of meat is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 8 to 9 minutes, turn and broil second side of steak 8 to 9 minutes to desired doneness (rare or medium). Carve into thin slices. 4 servings.

A perfect match with our Tanglerose, Backyard Red

We Call them Silver Turtles...

Silver Turtle -

Feeds - You
    Ground Beef (you don't want the ground sirloin, you do want a little bit of fat.)
    Butter (approx 1/8 cup - 1/8 of a stick)
    Brown Gravy Mix
    1 ice Cube (optional)
    1/2 can of chopped potatoes
    1/2 can of chopped carrots
    Peppers and Onion at your discretion.

It is handy, and easy to prepare thes in pairs, one for you, and one for a camping buddy, or you can freeze the extra one.

Take a large sheet of Heavy Duty Aluminum foil, lay it out and place form a ptty with the ground beef on the foil, the thinner the faster it will cook, but thick is fine if you have cook time. Put the butter on top of the patty, douse with about half to a whole package of Brown Gravy Mix depending on how flavorful you want the meat. Toss in your half can of potatoes, and your half can of carrots, peppers and onions if you desire. you can also put one ice cube in at this point to assist in the gravy mix. Wrap up in the foil, sealing as best as possible. They work best in just one layer of foil, as opposed to two or more. Toss them in your cooler, and head out, as long as you can keep them cold, they are good to go.

Cook over coals of a campfire, we usually start our campfire as soon as we set up camp, get a decent bed of coals, and then toss them on. About 10 minutes per side. Cut open the foil, and eat it striagh from inside the foil.

Tatum Rolls make a great addition.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE