Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wiring offroad lights to high beams and whenever?

Re: Wiring offroad lights to high beams and whenever?

Painless Wiring (http://www.painlesswiring.com)

#80408 - On/Off/On Single Pole - Amber Lights
    http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...rchField=80407

I've used these with great success.

good luck
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Lance, thanks for the links. I ended up getting one from 12voltguy.com since I have been in communication with him for the Pismo Jambo. I think it is a bezel switch dual red illuminated with a black cover It isn't shown on his site. He has some pretty cool stuff on his site and seems like a really nice guy. He has some nice dual battery and winch kits too.

Here's what he is donating for the Pismo Jambo: In-cab Winch Control
    My signature

I received my switch yesterday from 12voltguy. It is a nice carling rocker switch DPDT double illuminated. I didn't receive a diagram with the switch, so I'm kind of I emailed 12voltguy and I'm sure he will get back to me with help, but I thought I would throw it out for you guys to take a swing at it. The switch has 7 blades on it and an open spot for an 8th blade.

Switch:

8: open 7: blade
    1: blade 4: blade
    2: blade 5: blade
    3: blade 6: blade

My guess right now for this to work and to have my switch lights illuminate when in the on positions.

1: to Highbeams +
    2: to relay
    3: to accessory or parking lights + (not sure which one I plan on using)
    4: open
    5: open
    6: open
    7: to ground (so that the led lights in the switch will work)

Let me know what you think. I'll also post what 12volt says. Should be interesting to see what we come up with.
    My signature

Here's the diagram with my lightforce wiring harness, so you can see what I'm working with:

My signature

you may need to wire the LED(another ground connection?) so that its on, whether ON or ON w/ the HB.
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by surf4runner
    you may need to wire the LED(another ground connection?) so that its on, whether ON or ON w/ the HB.
    That's what I was wondering. I'll have to wait and see. Hopefully my lights come in today.
    My signature

Slosurfer,

Your are going to love these lights. I have the same pair, and they are great . There is another source for these lights that you should know about. off-roadlights.com/index.htm Dick has helped me quite abit with my project with Armorology. Interestingly, he offers a HID conversion available for the 170s that DOUBLES the candlepower at about half the cost of the ones available from Lightforce...not sure that I 'need' these just yet.

Also, there are some 'security' nuts available at rallylights.com. I looked into the Barri-nut locks, but they were $20/pair...these are real cheap $1.20 each...Check them out and let me know what you think. Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by bigwapitijohnny
    Slosurfer,

Your are going to love these lights. I have the same pair, and they are great . There is another source for these lights that you should know about. off-roadlights.com/index.htm Dick has helped me quite abit with my project with Armorology. Interestingly, he offers a HID conversion available for the 170s that DOUBLES the candlepower at about half the cost of the ones available from Lightforce...not sure that I 'need' these just yet.

Also, there are some 'security' nuts available at rallylights.com. I looked into the Barri-nut locks, but they were $20/pair...these are real cheap $1.20 each...Check them out and let me know what you think. Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ
    BWJ, thanks for the info! Those "security" nuts look like they will work good. Do you have them on yours? I definately want to do something so my expensive lights don't walk off.
    My signature

Surfer,

I bought 10 pair I believe and I'll sell them to you if you are interested (how about $1 each + shipping?) . It turns out that the lights are 'tight' enough on my bumper to where I will not need them, thieves will have a hard time getting a wrench on these. Let me know. By the way, love your trailer build , been watching that 'slowly'...

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

I got them all mounted, wired, and the switch is good to go. I've got on w/ highbeams, off, and on with at least parking lights on (I did it this way, so that I would get the warning buzzer if I leave them on with the key off).
    I wired my 7 post switch in this way.

7.Ground
    1.to parking lights+ 4.None
    2.to relay 5.None
    3.to highbeams + 6.None

I was hoping that it would turn the lights on the switch only when the switch was on, but the lights come on when there is power to that side of the switch. I.E. Driving during the day with no lights on, the switch has no lights on. When I turn my parking lights on or my lowbeams, the bottom light is lit (which means that if I hit that side of the switch, my lights will come on). If I turn my highbeams on, both lights are lit on the switch, meaning that there is power to both sides of the switch and I have the option of which way to hit it to turn my lights on. Up will turn them on but they will go on and off with the highbeams. Everything works great and I am not going to mess around with it anymore to see if I can make the switch lights only come on when the switch is thrown. I'll try to get some pics up soon. Thanks for everyones help.
    My signature

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast