Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wiring offroad lights to high beams and whenever?

Re: Wiring offroad lights to high beams and whenever?

Pics:

Carling Rocker Switch:

This is how it lights up when I have my parking lights or low beams on.

This is how it lights up when my highbeams are on

My signature

Some light output pics.

Stock low beams

Stock high beams

Just the 170's with clear lenses both on spot light

High beams and 170's clear lenses

Just the 170's with yellow combo spot/driving lights

Highbeams and 170's with yellow combo lenses
    My signature

boy that's gonna look nice for pismo good job!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Welcome to the 'Lightforce' family ...just to let you know, the colored filters do NOT dissipate the heat generated on these lights as well as the clear ones do. So be aware of the time that the lights are on with the colored filters...

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    boy that's gonna look nice for pismo good job!
    Thanks! I'm still trying to get the adjustments where I like them. Right now they are aimed slightly above my high beams. I definately see how lights are addictive, once you get a set it's easy to think, "hmmmm.... if I had these other ones, I could see all the way over there!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigwapitijohnny
    Welcome to the 'Lightforce' family ...just to let you know, the colored filters do NOT dissipate the heat generated on these lights as well as the clear ones do. So be aware of the time that the lights are on with the colored filters...

Regards,

BWJ
    Thanks Jon, I now see what all the hype is about over these lights. Thanks for the heads up on the lenses, I did notice that the lenses were hotter to the touch than the clear. I thought it was my imagination, lol. I'm stilll trying to figure out how to put those security nuts on the adjustment bolt. It's hard to get a crescent wrench in there. I haven't spent a lot of time on it yet though.
    My signature

Just an update: the way the switch is wired has worked great. I used the highbeam/LF combo coming home from Mojave Rd. while on Hwy 166, this was the first time that I really used it for any length of time. Anyways, just an update.
    My signature

I want to add a third light that I will eventually wire independantly of the other two, but until I get another wire harness, I just want to add it to my existing setup. My question is, can I just tap into my lightforce wiring harness? My 170's are 35watt HID and I'll be adding a 100watt halogen(eventually a 50watt HID), so I'll still be under the original 200watts that were originally flowing through the harness. Thoughts/suggestions?
    Here's the diagram with my lightforce wiring harness, so you can see what I'm working with:

My signature

After picking Sean's brain in the chatroom, I went ahead and tapped my wire harness for the third light. So far so good! Thanks Sean.

My signature

heres sometihgn i drew up real quick for someone else on the board, but could be adapted to any of these situations where the desired outcome is lights on with a light controlled via the vehicle, in addition to lights on via a separate switch. i think this is the easiest and most robust way of doing this, and prevents large currents through a switch, which is never a good idea, especially when using smaller switches never intended to handle the current.

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean, is that showing 2 relays?
    My signature

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast