Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Disconnect Anti-Sway Bar Links

Quick Disconnect Anti-Sway Bar Links

Independant Front Suspension (IFS) is one of the worst inventions applied to off-roading trucks. Sure, they make for a better ride and better handling, but it's a truck and it's supposed to act like a truck. When compared to a solid axle, IFS is weaker, more prone to wear because of all the moving parts, and severely limits articulation (the ability of the suspension to keep the tires firmly on the ground, despite a severely uneven road).

To help increase articulation a trick many people use is to disconnect the front anti-sway bar (or sway bar for short). Since the sway bar's job is to connect the left and right sides of the IFS it necessarily limits articulation. However, it's a real pain in the butt to unscrew the nuts and bolts to disconnect the sway bar everytime one wants to go off-road.

Below, I outline what I did to make an inexpensive quick disconnect system that is commonly used in one form or another. Specifically, this is for a 2nd gen 4Runner as the pickup truck uses a slightly different sway bar configuration. However, it can be easily adapted to the truck and 3rd gen 4Runners.

Materials:
    (1) 7/16" diameter, fine thread, threaded rod approximately 2' long (more than enough) ~$3
    (2) 7/16" rod ends ~$5-$10 each
    (8) 7/16" fine thread lock nuts ~$0.20 each
    (8) 7/16" washers ~$0.05 each
    (2) 5/32" hitch pins ~$2 each
    I soaked the various nuts of the sway bar links in penetrating oil for a day or two before even trying to take them off. I then removed the driver side sway bar link and kept the rubber bushings and washers. Only one side was taken off first because I needed to know where to drill the hole for the hitch pin.

Using the OEM links I approximated the length I needed for the new QD links. This was the measurement from the middle of the ball to the end of the link. Then I added 1 inch for good measure and cut the 7/16" threaded rod with my dremel.

The OEM bushing washers are a snug fit on the threaded rod so I enlarged the holes slightly with the dremel. With the washers enlarged I put together the threaded rod, locknuts, OEM bushing washers and OEM rubber bushings and screwed them to the lower A-arm.

Then the Rod End went on with 3 washers used to space the ball away from the sway bar. I tightened everything down except for the top lock nut. Using the bottom of the rod end as a guide, I drilled a 5/32" hole through threaded rod ( I also made sure I was parked on flat, level ground). Then in went the hitch pin and the top lock nut was tightened just enough to let hitch pin slide in and out freely.

Once that side was done I repeated it all for the passenger side. Pretty easy, it only took two or three hours.

Update: After driving around a while with these disconnects I've discovered they do make a lot of clicking/knocking sounds. Mostly, I think because of the inherent slop in the hitch pin/nut connection. This will most likely be solved by tighting the nut to snug down on the hitch pin. Although doing so will slow down the disconnecting process, it's still a heck of a lot faster than stock.

Update 2: I tightened everything down and the clicking noises went away. The locknut on the rodend seems to work its way loose a lot so I'm going to add a second one to act as a jam nut. A castle nut is probably the best bet though.

Disclaimer: Altering the suspension of any vehicle can adversely affect handling and result in a dangerous situation. I do not claim that any modifications I make to my vehicle are safe, nor legal. If you choose to replicate my modifications, you do so at your own risk.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Quick Disconnect Anti-Sway Bar Links

thats cool
    just hammer it!!

first thing i did when i got my truck was threw the sway bar in the trash! Never looked back. Never missed it after 4 years of daily driving. seems like a waste of time to me dunno
    Low down and durrrrrrty rock-stacking web wheeler

I have custom-designed swaybar disconnects very similar to these on all four corners of my '92 4Runner. They work beautifully, and I can still have both swaybars for street driving. They work so well in fact, I plan to adapt a similar design to my '98 4Runner, so I can disconnect the swaybars on it too.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Ok a couple of people sent me PM's asking what my swaybar disco's looked like, so I dug WAY back in time and found the pictures backed up on a 4-year old CD... I thought about making a new thread, but since the disconnects are so similar I figured this can just be a continuation of Robins thread. Just like RobinHood's, the disonnects rattle a bit. I have considered trying to add some rubber washers in there somewhere to help with the noise, but never got around to it. All I have to do is pull 4 hitch pins and both bars are disconnected. To disconnect, I pull the ones closest to the head of the bolt, so the top pin for the fronts, and the bottom pin for the rears). Then to put them back on, I just drive to a nice flat spot, and put the pins back in. It has worked very well for over 4 years now of some pretty tough off-roading.

IIRC, the bolts are Grade 8, 8" in the front and 10" in the rear, 7/16" diameter. The bolts in the rear really need to be about 12", but 10" was the longest I could get in 7/16" Grade 8. The heims are (obviouly) also 7/16" diameter, I got them from a hot-rod shop.

Drilling holes in the bolts.

Layout of the parts.

Assembled units (not sure which is front and which is rear, or if they're both fronts...

Installed on the 4Runner when sitting flat:
    Front

Rear

And a little flex, I added the springs on the front to hold the front swaybar up while disconnected, I compressed it WAY beyond yield after getting low-pro bump stops, but it's still there:

Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Are the anti-sway bars on a 1st gen different? For some reason I picture the one on my 88 looking a bit different...

There are different versions so yes, yours might not be the same.

This is probably what yours looks like
    http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/swaybar2/
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by RustBucket
    Are the anti-sway bars on a 1st gen different? For some reason I picture the one on my 88 looking a bit different...
    Well then you're good to go! You miss out on the most expensive part of the above disconnects- the heim joints.
    Brian

The only problem using such a design is the strength of the components. I wouldnt dare use such things on any vehicle unless they were very HD components...

I think 4Crawler has it on his site why he switched from using a similar setup
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Well I used grade 8 hardware, although I drilled two holes in each bolt. I haven't broken a single component on them in four years, and I've off-roaded the heck out of my 4Runner in that time period. I'd say they're strong enough.
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast