Thread: Front suspension coils for 97 4Runner 4x4 using Bilstein HD

Front suspension coils for 97 4Runner 4x4 using Bilstein HD

I recently replaced my stock suspension (154000 miles) with Bilstein HD's hoping for a better ride. The ride seems to have improved, but isn't as stiff as I would have liked. The truck jostles too much for my taste. I am beginning to think that maybe the front coils need to be replaced? I drive mostly on road, but like the option to off road. I want to keep the suspension at stock height. The rear springs were recently replaced due to a recall.

Any recommendations on what would work well with the Bilsteins in the front?

Thanks

Re: Front suspension coils for 97 4Runner 4x4 using Bilstein HD

hansolo,

i doubt your coils are worn up front.and i'm not sure if they make a harder valved shock than the bilstein hd's! if i were to guess, those billies off the trd tacomas a few years back were pretty darn stiff as well. also, you are matchign a soft, mushy oem spring with a hard-valved shock. imho, not a great combo.

if you want to maintain stock height, your choices are pretty limited. if you dont mind going a wee bit farhter in height, try to source the coils from a 1999 4runner. they are about a 1/2 to an 1" taller.

if you want something a tad more *firm*, about 1.0 to 1.5" more height and want to offroad, i'd recommend the performance products 1" progressive coils front and back. they are not cheap, but alot of folks including myself have them. it will also give you the opportunity to put 32's on them. imho, 32s and these springs + billies will give you a little bit more in terms of capability (off road) while allowing you to maintain good on-road driveability.

the other option you might consider if you dont want go buy these springs is to buy some the larger addco anti-sway bars. this will firm up the ride when cornering. but when you off road, it might be a good idea to disconnect them as they are pretty stiff as compared to the stock anti-sway bar. i recall a few guys just bought them for the front and they were fine with that.

lastly for future consideration, check out sonoransteel.com's suspension system 1.1. ask member paddlenbike (ken) what he thinks!

bob

bob, imo, the bilstein hd's are really not stiff at all. my truck was all over the place with those shocks. ever since i swapped front and rear to OME's, i have gained a lot more control, reduced the floaty feeling, and honestly it rides about the same on the road.

id never get those bil hd's again, unless i coupled them with something like the pp springs which combine to make the truck ride so nice if you arent looking for monster lift.

SO, i say sell those billies and get some ome's.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

lee,

when you ran the billie hds, what shocks were you running them with?

bob

what coils you mean??

i was running pp springs at first, then i switched to stock coils with a spacer up front and rear ome coil. i was floating around like a sailboat while wheeling, on the road they allowed me to lean in turns about 30% more than my ome shocks do (i have no swaybars).

when you take them off, press them and see how quick they rebound. with the ome shock, you can press them in quick, but they bounce back slow. just what you need for controlled bounce.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    when you take them off, press them and see how quick they rebound. with the ome shock, you can press them in quick, but they bounce back slow. just what you need for controlled bounce.
    X2

I'm not at all a fan of the HD bils on these 3rd gens.....OME's or Trekmasters ride alot better IMHO.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD