Thread: Rear Differential Breather

Rear Differential Breather

yeah yeah.. anyway, quick question. when you take the rear stock diff breather off how can you tell if it is clogged and if it is clogged can you clean it out with brake cleaner? the reason i asked is bc i was checking my spare the other day to make sure it is full of air and looked at the backside of the rear wheels and noticed the passenger side looked like it had leaked something at one point in time. maybe i am just paranoid but i figured i would ask. what i was going to do is check the rear diff breather to make sure it isnt clogged bc if it is ill take the wheel and the brake cover off to check it out further. it has 96k miles and is babied but you never know when that thing will clog up and mess the seals up from pressure.. what do you guys think?
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

Re: Rear Differential Breather

The cap is spring loaded so if it moves it's probably ok. The other way to tell is to blow in it.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

i couldnt tell what the leak was from. its dry but "stained" on the back side of the tire.. just curious on what it is. thanks

If you do any kind of wheelin' you should consider extending your breather
    1997 4Runner Limited; <br />3.4L 4WD; Rear E-Locker; OEM/Sonoran Steel 3.5&quot; Lift; ARB Tacoma BullBar w/ 525 PIAA Dual-Beam Lights; Alpine/JL Audio; CompuStar; TRD Headers w/ Magnaflow custom dual exhaust; 305/70 MTR&#039;s on Blacked-out A/R wheels; Tundra Brakes; 4&quot; Deckplate mod w/ TRD filter; ISR mod; Yellow Top Optima w/ custom tie down; Custom grille inserts; JDM Black headlights w/ 6000k HID&#039;s; Extended diff breathers<br />PICS&gt; ::97 4Runner Site::

yes that is a bad seal. it doesnt mean it wont seal or that it is a constant leak, it means that at some point the seal was bad due to the pressure built up thanks to the lack of a breather... so likely your hose is clogged.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Pull the diff breather hose off and try and blow through it.....if you can it's fine.....if not, get it fixed pronto.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

i am going to the dealership to have them pull the back tires off. its under warranty till 100k miles and it has 96k on her now. i will turn 100k next month or so.. she said that it wont take long to yank them off and have a look.. its supposedly free since i have the certified yota and if it is leaking or has leaked they replace it for free. i am hoping that they are bad hahaha... i dont wheel much at all guys. i want to but its my only vehicle so i have to take care of her. i noticed the brakes gripping funny so it maybe that (plus i do need new pads on the front)... ill let you fellas know something tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by 97Limited
    If you do any kind of wheelin' you should consider extending your breather
    x2

Here is what I did : http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...18315#msg18315
    Wil Kuhns<br />Sierra Expeditions <br /><br />The only regrets in life are the risks you didn&#039;t take.<br /><br />Mod Progress Gauge: [|||||||||-] = 90% Complete as of 03 FEB 2008. My Taco&#039;s Garage

its all good.. the guy told me it was some old brake fluid from quite a ahwile back and no leaks at all.. thanks for the write up, thats on my list of things to do for sure. it will save $ in the long run perhaps