Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front suspension clunk when braking or decelerating at slow speeds

Front suspension clunk when braking or decelerating at slow speeds

Gents,

This one is stumping me: whenever I am slowing down, there is a noticeable clunk sound from the front right suspension area. i've narrowed it down as a clunk that is generated by the shift of momentum and force from back (accelerating) to front (decelerating). i can duplicate this sound when, at a stop light, i somewhat strongly accelerate and then let go of the gas. the shift in momentum, weight, force, etc will cause that sound, so its definitely something that is consistent (thank goodness).

Any guesses? And yes, i am 100% sure that the noise is not from the driveshaft but from the front passenger area.

I've changed out my sway bar bushings and steering rod bushings. could those be culprits?

thanks,
    bob

Re: Front suspension clunk when braking or decelerating at slow speeds

check for a loose suspension link, front and back
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Have your ball joints or TRE's ever been changed?
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

bruce,

any specific one that comes to mind?

mike: ball joints = no. tie rod ends = no

ill check the tighteness hopefully tonite

bob

the clunk could come from any of the 4 rear links or a loose adjuster bolt on the front lower A-Arms. The bolt on the front A-Arms is 22mm, I usually double wrench them and tighten them as tight as I can pull. Also check the top nut on the rear shocks.....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Bob, have you tried getting under and hit the suspect items with a dead blow mallet? Often something that is loose enough to "clunk" will make a similar sound when hit. You'll have all sorts of possibilities like ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links, strut mounts/top bolt, A-arm bushings, etc. It's very hard to pinpoint without getting under having a look in person.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

mmm...the misses made a killer ribeye + potataaaas!

getting ready to see if i can find the sound. moving it into the garage now.

Bob
    what kind of coils do you have in front? My Saw's rotate forward when coming to a stop to the point that it clunks and has indented the lower shock body.

Just an idea since I don't know what you are running up front.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Bob, just get under there and hit everything with a frozen churro. You'll find it!
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
    Bob
    what kind of coils do you have in front? My Saw's rotate forward when coming to a stop to the point that it clunks and has indented the lower shock body.

Just an idea since I don't know what you are running up front.
    eric, et al:

just finished. i tightened everything that could be tightened. all seemed very tight to begin with. eric, i have PP coils. do your coils do that on both sides? it would seem odd if it just happened on one side. the only thing up front looked abnormal was that one of the mount bushings that hold the front axle to the cross member (whatever thats called) is torn. ill call evan at northridge toyota for a replacement

the other thing that i saw that was unusual was that i freakin' broke my wheel stud off >:| yeah, i broke it, i saw it!

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Bob, just get under there and hit everything with a frozen churro. You'll find it!
    hardy har har

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast